The A118 is a road in east London, England which links Bow with Gallows Corner, east of Romford. The section from Stratford to Gallows Corner formed the original route of the A12 until the designation was transferred to the Eastern Avenue soon after the latter opened in 1925. This route has even older pedigree, dating back to Roman times, forming the London to Colchester road.
Recently, the A118 was extended westwards from its former terminus at Stratford to Bow, taking over the former A11 Stratford High Street when the A12 extension opened in 1999. Thus 70 years after the Eastern Avenue was built, the A12 finally by-passed the whole of the A118, unlike the situation previously, where the A12 ended on the A11 due north of Stratford at Leytonstone.
The road is known as Romford Road for much its length in the London Borough of Newham, High Road while in the London Borough of Redbridge and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and London Road while in the London Borough of Havering. A final section linking Romford with Gallows Corner is known as Main Road.
The path of the road has been altered to bypass Ilford and Romford town centres. The road passes directly through the districts of Maryland, Forest Gate, Manor Park, Little Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes, Chadwell Heath and Gidea Park. The road is served by London Buses route 86 for most its length with other routes serving various sections. The same route is also followed by part of the Great Eastern Main Line.