thumb townhall and the statue of Jan Wellem.]]
The Altstadt (literally "old town") is one of the 49 boroughs of Düsseldorf, Germany; it belongs to central City District 1. The Düsseldorfer Altstadt is known as "the longest bar in the world" (längste Theke der Welt), because the small Old Town has more than 300 bars and discothèques.
Famous is the special beer from Düsseldorf, the Altbier ("old beer"), brewed from an old traditional recipe, which is only brewed in a few places in the world since the end of the 19th century.
The Old Town has an area of half a square kilometer (which is less than a quarter of a percent of the whole city) and has 2297 inhabitants (2000), less than half a percent of the population of Düsseldorf. The density of population is thus 4594 inh./km².
- Basilica St. Lambertus
- Schlossturm - housing the shipping museum
- The Old City Hall (Rathaus)
- Equestrian statue of Jan Wellem on the Market place
- St. Ursula-Gymnasium, old Grammar School
- Discover Düsseldorf: The Old Town, City of Düsseldorf Template:En icon
- Websites from Altstadt Düsseldorf on Duesselgo.de