Template:Distinguish2 Template:Infobox building The Barbican Estate is a residential estate built during the 1960s and the 1970s in the City of London, in an area once devastated by World War II bombings and today densely populated by financial institutions. It contains, or is adjacent to, the Barbican Arts Centre, the Museum of London, the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the Barbican public library, the City of London School for Girls and a YMCA (now closed<ref name=history>Template:Cite web</ref>), forming the Barbican Complex.
The Barbican Complex is a prominent example of British brutalist architecture and is Grade II listed as a whole with the exception of the late Milton Court. Milton Court once contained a fire station, medical facilities and some flats and was demolished to allow the construction of a new apartment complex which also contains additional facilities for the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
The name of the Barbican comes from the Low Latin word ‘Barbecana’ which referred to a fortified outpost or gateway, such as an outer defence of a city or castle or any tower situated over a gate or bridge which was used for defence purposes.
During World War II, the City suffered serious damage and loss of life. The Cripplegate ward was virtually demolished and by 1951 the resident population of the City stood at 5,324 of whom 48 lived in Cripplegate. Discussions began in 1952 about the future of the site, and the decision to build new residential properties was taken by the Court of Common Council on 19 September 1957.<ref name=history>Template:Cite web</cite></ref>
The estate was built between 1965 and 1976, on a Template:Convert site that had been bombed in World War II. The complex was designed by architects Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, whose first work was the ground-breaking Golden Lane Estate immediately north of the Barbican. The estate of Template:Convert was officially opened in 1969 and is now home to around 4,000 people living in 2,014 flats.<ref name=history/> The flats reflect the widespread use in Britain in the 1960s and 1970s of concrete as the visible face of the building.
The Minister for the Arts, Tessa Blackstone, announced in September 2001 that the Barbican complex was to be Grade II listed. It has been designated a site of special architectural interest for its scale, its cohesion and the ambition of the project.<ref name=listing>Template:Cite web</ref> The complex is architecturally important as it is one of London's principal examples of concrete Brutalist architecture and considered a landmark.
Blocks and towers
The residential estate consists of 3 tower blocks, 13 terrace blocks, 2 mews and The Postern, Wallside and Milton Court.<ref name=Sitting>Template:Citation</ref>
The terrace blocks
These are grouped around a lake and green squares. The main buildings rise up to seven floors above a podium level, which links all the facilities in the Barbican, providing a pedestrian route above street level. Some maisonettes are built into the podium structure. There is no vehicular access within the estate, but there are some car parks at the periphery of the estate. Public car parks are located within the Barbican Centre.
The terrace blocks are named:<ref name=Sitting />
- Andrewes House - named after Lancelot Andrewes;
- Breton Court - named after Nicholas Breton;
- Bryer Court - named after W. Bryer & Sons;
- Bunyan Court - named after John Bunyan;
- Defoe House - named after Daniel Defoe;
- Frobisher Crescent - named after Martin Frobisher;
- Gilbert House - named after Humphrey Gilbert;
- Ben Jonson House - named after Ben Jonson;
- Thomas More House - named after Thomas More;
- Mountjoy House - named after Christopher Mountjoy;
- Seddon House - named after George Seddon;
- Speed House - named after John Speed;
- John Trundle Court - named after John Trundle;
- Willoughby House - named after Catherine Willoughby
The estate also contains three of London's tallest residential towers, at 42 storeys and Template:Convert high. The top two or three floors of each block comprise three penthouse flats. The towers are (east to west):
- Cromwell Tower, completed in 1973 - named after Oliver Cromwell;
- Shakespeare Tower, completed in 1976 - named after William Shakespeare; and
- Template:Visible anchor, completed in 1974 - named after the Earl of Lauderdale.
Once the tallest residential towers in London, they were surpassed by the Pan Peninsula development on the Isle of Dogs.
thumb The Barbican Estate also contains the Barbican Centre (an arts, drama and business venue), the Barbican public library, the City of London School for Girls, the Museum of London, and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. A YMCA building was constructed between 1965 and 1971<ref name=listing/> to link the Barbican and Golden Lane Estate; it is also listed.
Nearby rail and Tube
|National Rail Template:Rail-interchange||Liverpool Street||100px|
|London Underground Template:Rail-interchange||Liverpool Street|| 100px|
- Barbican Centre
- Museum of London
- St Giles-without-Cripplegate
References and notes
- The history of the Barbican Estate
- Corporation of London:Barbican Estate
- Barbican Life magazine
- 'Secret bits of the Barbican', Londonist