Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:About

thumb

Santa Anastasia is a basilica church in Rome, Italy.

Santa Anastasia was built in the late 3rd century - early 4th century, possibly by a Roman woman named Anastasia. The church is listed under the titulus Anastasiae in the acts of the 499 synod. Later the church was entitled to the martyr with the same name, Anastasia of Sirmium.

The church was restored several times: Pope Damasus I (366-383), Pope Hilarius (461-468), Pope John VII (705-707), Pope Leo III (795-816), and Pope Gregory IV (827-844). The current church dates back to the 17th century restoration commissioned by Pope Urban VII.

Traditionally, the church is connected to the cult of St Jerome, who possibly celebrated mass here. The saint is depicted over the altar, by Domenichino.

Titular Cardinal Priests

The current Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Anastasiae is Godfried Danneels. Past holders have included John Morton, an Archbishop of Canterbury.

  • Template:Flagicon Jordi d'Ornós (1437–????), schismatic
  • Template:Flagicon Luigi Oreglia di Santo Stefano (16 January 1874 – 24 March 1884)
  • Template:Flagicon Carlo Laurenzi, Auxiliary Bishop of Perugia and Titular Bishop of Amathus in Palaestina (1884–1893)
  • Template:Flagicon Andrea Carlo Ferrari, Archbishop of Milan (1894–1921)
  • Template:Flagicon Michael von Faulhaber, Archbishop of Munich und Freising (1921–1952)
  • Template:Flagicon James Francis McIntyre, Archbishop Emeritus of Los Angeles (1953–1979)
  • Template:Flagicon Godfried Danneels, Archbishop Emeritus of Mechelen-Brussels (1983–)

Art and architecture

The last restoration, after the restoration during the papacy of Sixtus IV, occurred in 1636, when the facade, with lower doric and upper ionic order, was reconstructed in 1636, after the cyclone of 1634. The nave recycles antique columns. The ceiling is frescoed with a martyrdom of the saints (1722) by Michelangelo Cerruti.

The chapel to the right, has a painting of St. John the Baptist by Pier Francesco Mola. While the last chapel on the right has a fresco of Scenes of the life of Saints Carlo Borromeo and Filippo Neri by Lazzaro Baldi. The right transept has a painting of S.Toribio (1726) by Francesco Trevisani. The high altar has a Nativity by Lazzaro Baldi and below the altar is a statue of Saint Anastasia by Ercole Ferrata. It clearly shows the influence of Bernini's Beata Ludovica Albertoni. The left transept has a Madonna of the Rosary by Baldi. The last chapel to the left, by Domenichino depicts a St. Jerome. The other chapel has a Ss.Giorgio e Publio by Etienne Parrocel.

External links

Template:Commonscat

References

Template:Coord