Bayerischer Platz (Berlin U-Bahn)

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Bayrplatz-ubahn-eingang.jpg
South entrance building to Bayerischer Platz U-Bahn station
(Demolition in June/July 2013)

Bayerischer Platz is a Berlin U-Bahn station on the Template:BVG lines and the Template:BVG lines. The station is located under the square of the same name in the centre of the Bayerisches Viertel neighbourhood in Schöneberg. The U4 station opened with the rest of that line on 1 December 1910 and is now a protected historic landmark;<ref name=Denkmal>U-Bahnhof Bayerischer Platz, Denkmale in Berlin, Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung (Berlin Senate landmark listing) Template:De icon</ref> the U7 part of the station opened on 29 January 1971.

History and architecture

File:Berlin U-Bhf Bayerischer Platz.jpg
U4 platform, restored after World War II to close to its original appearance

The Schöneberg line between Nollendorfplatz and Innsbrucker Platz, today's U4, was built by the then independent city of Schöneberg<ref name=Schoeneberger>Die Schöneberger Untergrundbahn, Berliner Untergrundbahn.de Template:De icon</ref> to connect it to the "new West" of Berlin (now called City West and the main business centre of West Berlin prior to German reunification). The Bayerischer Platz station was built in 1909/10 to the design of Johannes Kraaz.<ref name=Denkmal/> However, the platform areas of each station on the line were built to a standardised design, presumed to be by Friedrich Gerlach, the Prussian official who was involved in every facet of the development of Schöneberg. The stations resemble those of Alfred Grenander and emulate his use of a distinguishing colour for each station.<ref name=Schoeneberger/>

Kraaz conceived of the south entrance to the station as a pergola integrated into Fritz Encke's architecture in the square. Since it was the only station on the line to have a 90 m long platform from the start, it was given another entrance at the north end, also in pergola style.<ref name=U4Bhf>U4 Bayerischer Platz, Berliner-Untergrundbahn.de Template:De icon</ref> This entrance survives largely unchanged today. However, the south entrance, which had been rebuilt after being destroyed in World War II, had to be removed in 1956/57 when Grunewaldstraße was straightened to run through the square.<ref name=U4Bhf/><ref name=UntergrundbahnU4>Die Bahnhöfe der U4: Bayerischer Platz, Untergrundbahn.de Template:De icon</ref>

Already at the time of the station's construction, there were plans to have a line to Neukölln cross at this point. The station was intended to bridge such a future line, which would eventually be built 60 years later.

On 3 February 1945, during World War II, several Allied bombs scored direct hits on the station while 2 trains were halted there, killing 63 people.

North entrance and U4 platform

The north entrance and lobby with their wrought iron railings and pilasters are largely unchanged, the only station entrance on the line to be preserved.<ref name=UntergrundbahnU4/> The walls are tiled in blue and the stairwells faced with fossil-bearing rock. In the platform area, the original white and blue wall tiles (the heraldic colours of Bavaria) were replaced with slightly brighter colours during reconstruction after the war, but the platform appears almost as it did,<ref name=U4Bhf/> and two original kiosks, one with the original tiling, also remain. The next station is Viktoria-Luise-Platz or Rathaus Schoneberg.

U7 station and new south entrance

File:U Bayerischer Platz Eingangsbereich.jpg
Artwork inside south entrance

The lower-level U7 portion of the station, built to Rainer G. Rümmler's design in 1968–70 and opened in 1971, also makes use of the Bavarian colours: the walls are clad in blue fibre cement panels with the station name on a white horizontal stripe, and the support columns are white.<ref name=UntergrundbahnU7>Die Bahnhöfe der U7: Bayerischer Platz, Untergrundbahn.de Template:De icon</ref> The ceiling, resembling skylights in industrial buildings, was designed to avoid dazzling train operators;<ref name=U7bhf/> the fluorescent lights are inset in red piping.<ref name=UntergrundbahnU7/> The lobbies are decorated in contrasting colours: white, red and turquoise. The design resembles that at Eisenacher Straße, also by Rümmler. The next station is Berliner Straße (change here for U9) or Eisenacher Straße.<ref name=U7bhf>U7 Bayerischer Platz, Berliner-Untergrundbahn.de Template:De icon</ref>

At the same time, the glass-fronted south entrance building erected in the 1950s to replace the demolished original was rebuilt to a modernistic design, also by Rümmler.<ref name=U4Bhf/> Colourful art is mounted on the walls inside.<ref name=U7bhf/>

Rebuilding/Renovation 2013

The BVG will do fundamental maintenance to the main entrance building in 2013. In addition, the station will be equipped with two additional handicapped accessible lifts by the end of the year. On 27 May 2013 the demolition of the main building began. These works are gonna be completed by 3 December 2013.

References

Template:Reflist

Sources

  • Biagia Bongiorno. Die Bahnhöfe der Berliner Hoch- und Untergrundbahn. Verkehrsdenkmale in Berlin. Berlin: Imhof, 2007. ISBN 978-3-86568-292-5. p. 128.

External links

Template:Commons category

Template:S-start Template:S-rail Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:End Template:BU-BahnStations Template:Translation/ref

Template:Coord