Bessborough Reservoir

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox lake The Bessborough Reservoir is an embanked reservoir south of the River Thames in Surrey near the Knight Reservoir and the Molesey Reservoirs. The A3050 runs to the north of the reservoir and the neighbouring town is Molesey to the east. It forms part the green buffer between Molesey and Walton on Thames. The reservoir is the borough of Elmbridge.

The Bessborough and Knight Reservoirs were built by the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks Company, whose works were across the river at Hampton. Work began in 1898 replacing an old mansion and its farmed or landscaped estate, a manor, named Apps Court, and the reservoirs opened in 1907. They have a combined area of Template:Convert and hold Template:Convert.

History

Apps Court

The last noble owner was John, Duke of Montagu, from 1709 until 1749 who died without surviving male issue in that year.

Either the son or the grandson of late 18th century landowner, Jeremiah Hodges, Colonel Hodges sold the manor in 1802 to Edmund Hill who finally bequeathed it on his death to John Hamborough, after whose death it was sold by the trustees of his estate to Richard Sharpe. Robert Gill bought it before 1867 and his widow took it after his death.

It was sold in 1898–9 to the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company, who pulled down the house, and "excavated [what is described in the Victoria County History of 1912 as] the whole estate for a reservoir". A barrel of ale, and a quarter of corn made into bread, were still in the 19th century distributed annually to the poor by the owners of the property on All Souls' Day in respect of their customary tenure. The water company tried to evade the tenure, but on petition of the tenant farmers, the Charity Commissioners sanctioned a scheme in 1903, by which the interest of £200 Template:Inflation paid by the Water Board was vested in trustees for the use of the poor of Walton and Molesey.

Present use of the Apps Court Estate

The reservoirs have a combined area of Template:Convert and hold Template:Convert. The site is managed and operated by Thames Water.

Much of the farm of the estate remains by the road running parallel to and closest to the River Thames,<ref name=os>Grid square map Ordnance survey website</ref> and is used as a car boot sale location,<ref name=ac>"Car Boot events" website Apps Court Farm</ref> the owners host the August fireworks event that coincides with Sunbury regatta.<ref name=ac/>

The two reservoirs are a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

See also

  • London water supply infrastructure

References

Template:Reflist

Template:Thames Water Template:Elmbridge