Bologna Gallery of Modern Art
The Bologna Gallery of Modern Art, with its five exhibition venues (the Bologna Museum of Modern Art, Villa delle Rose, Museo Morandi, Casa Morandi and Museo per la Memoria di Ustica) and its patrimony of over 3.500 items of modern and contemporary art, represents one of the most important museums of the city of Bologna, Italy.
The Gallery was founded in 1926 and its first venue was Villa delle Rose, a building donated by the City of Bologna by countess Nerina Armandi Avogli. Soon, thanks to many acquisitions and bequests, the collection grew large and by 1961 had already reached more than 2.000 items.
Due to space problems, the city administration decided to transfer some of the works to a new building, located in the Fiera district, assigning the project to Leone Pancaldi. This new location of the Gallery, opened in 1975, had an exhibition surface of about 2.700 m2 and hosted both the permanent collection, whose works where exhibited in rotation, as well as temporary exhibitions.
On 5 May 2007 the new venue for modern and contemporary art was inaugurated in the former bakery in Don Minzoni street (in the new cultural district Manifattura delle Arti). It was named Bologna Museum of Modern Art (or MAMbo) and, with its over 9.500 m2, it became one of the most important Italian museums dedicated to the contemporary.
- The information in this article is based on that in its Italian equivalent.