British Cemetery in Madrid
The British Cemetery in Madrid (Cementerio de los Ingleses) was opened in 1854 in the Carabanchel district of Madrid, Spain, and the first burials took place that year. Few burials take place in the cemetery today because it is full, but there is provision for the interment of cremated remains.<ref name=Introduction>British Cemetery in Madrid:Introduction, British Embassy, on the website of Saint George's Church of Madrid, Accessed 4 August 2009</ref>
The cemetery is similar to many other such British cemeteries which came into existence after the Reformation when governments and religious authorities excluded those not of their proscribed faith from burial in their consecrated ground.<ref name=Introduction/>
In the century and a half of the cemetery's existence, Anglican, Protestant, Orthodox, and Jews, who died in Madrid have been buried there. In all, the remains of about 1000 people are interred in the cemetery. About half are the remains are of British nationals, 63 Germans, 49 Americans, 30 Spanish, 28 Swiss, 27 French, with the rest from a further 37 nations.<ref name=Introduction/>
Burials include Alice Bache Gould, Charles Clifford, Irakli Bagration of Mukhrani, Walter Shirlaw and Walter Starkie.