Cathedral of Saint Sava
The Cathedral of Saint Sava or Temple of Saint Sava (Template:Lang-sr) is a Serbian Orthodox church located in Vra?ar, Belgrade, Serbia. It is the largest Orthodox church in the world and ranks amongst the ten largest church buildings in the world. The church is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. It is built on the Vra?ar plateau, on the location where it is alleged that his remains were burned in 1595 by the Ottoman Empire's Sinan Pasha. From its location, it dominates Belgrade's cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city. The building of the church structure is being financed exclusively by donations. The parish home is nearby, as will be the planned patriarchal building.
The building is not a cathedral in the technical ecclesiastical sense, as it is not the seat of a bishop (the seat of the Metropolitan bishop of Belgrade is St. Michael's Cathedral). In Serbian it is called a hram (temple), which is in Eastern Orthodoxy another name for a church. In English, it is usually called a cathedral because of its size and importance, though basilica may be a more appropriate name.
The church is centrally planned, having the form of a Greek Cross. It has a large central dome supported on four pendentives and buttressed on each side by a lower semi-dome over an apse. Beneath each semi-dome is a gallery supported on an arcade.
The dome is Template:Convert high, while the main gold plated cross is another Template:Convert high, which gives a total of Template:Convert to the height Cathedral of Saint Sava. The peak is Template:Convert above the sea level (Template:Convert above the Sava river); therefore the church holds a dominant position in Belgrade's cityscape and is visible from all approaches to the city.
The church is Template:Convert long from east to west, and Template:Convert from north to south. It is Template:Convert tall, with the main gold-plated cross extending for Template:Convert more. Its domes have 18 more gold-plated crosses of various sizes, while the bell towers have 49 bells of the Austrian Bell Foundry Grassmayr.
It has a surface area of Template:Convert on the ground floor, with three galleries of Template:Convert on the first level, and a Template:Convert gallery on the second level. The Cathedral can receive 10,000 faithful at any one time. The choir gallery seats 800 singers. The basement contains a crypt, the treasury of Saint Sava, and the grave church of Saint Lazar the Hieromartyr, with a total surface of Template:Convert .
The facade is in white marble and granite and, when finished, the inner decorations will be of mosaics. The central dome will contain a mosaic of Christ Pantocrator. To give a sense of the monumental scale, the eyes will each be about 4 meters wide.
Template:Refimprove section In 1895, three hundred years after the burning of Saint Sava's remains, the Society for the Construction of the Cathedral of Saint Sava on Vra?ar was founded in Belgrade. Its goal was to build a cathedral on the place of the burning. A small church was built at the future place of the Cathedral, and it was later moved so the construction of the Cathedral could begin. In 1905, a public contest was launched to design the church; all five applications received were rejected as not being good enough. Soon, the breakout of the First Balkan War in 1912, and subsequent Second Balkan War and First World War stopped all activities on the construction of the church. After the war, in 1919, the Society was re-established. New appeals for designs were made in 1926; this time, it received 22 submissions. Though the first and third prize were not awarded, the second-place project, made by architect Aleksandar Deroko, was chosen for the building of the Cathedral.
Forty years after the initial idea, construction of the church began on May 10, 1935, 340 years after the burning of Saint Sava's remains. The cornerstone was laid by bishop Gavrilo Doži?-Medenica (the future Serbian Patriarch Gavrilo V). The project was designed by Aleksandar Deroko and Bogdan Nestorovi?, aided by civil engineer Vojislav Za?ina. The work lasted until Second World War Axis invasion of Yugoslavia in 1941. The church's foundation had been completed, and the walls erected to the height of 7 and 11 meters. After the 1941 bombing of Belgrade, work ceased altogether. The occupying German army used the unfinished church as a parking lot, while in 1944 the partisans and the Red Army used it with the same purpose. Later, it was used for storage by various companies. The Society for Building of the Cathedral ceased to exist and has not been revived.
In 1958, Patriarch German renewed the idea of building the church. After 88 requests for continuation of the building—and as many refusals, permission for finishing the building was granted in 1984, and Branko Peši? was chosen as new architect of the church. He remade the original projects to make better use of new materials and building techniques. Construction of the building began again on August 12, 1985. The walls were erected to full height of 40 meters.
The greatest achievement of the construction process was lifting of the 4,000 ton central dome, which was built on the ground, together with the copper plate and the cross, and later lifted onto the walls. The lifting, which took forty days, was finished on June 26, 1989.
Template:As of, the church is mostly complete. The bells and windows had been installed, and the facade completed. However, work on the internal decoration of the building still remains largely unfinished. Template:Clear
- Monument to Karadjordje and Temple of Saint Sava.jpg
Monument to Karadjordje and the Cathedral of Saint Sava
- Saint Sava et Partizan stadium.jpg
Cathedral of Saint Sava and the National Library of Serbia
- Cathedral of Saint Sava, Belgrade by night.jpg
Cathedral of Saint Sava : at night
Cathedral of Saint Sava : HDR Image at night
- Hram svetog Save.JPG
View from a park.
- Temple of Saint Sava nearly finished.jpg
The Cathedral under construction.
- Saint Sava Temple southern view.jpg
The Cathedral southern view, as seen from Autokomanda.
- Sveti Sava in Belgrade.JPG
Front view from park
- Religious architecture in Belgrade
- List of buildings in Belgrade
- List of tallest buildings in Serbia
- List of large Orthodox cathedrals
- List of largest church buildings in the world