Chiesa di Santa Rita da Cascia in Campitelli
The Chiesa di Santa Rita da Cascia in Campitelli is a deconsecrated church in Rome (Italy), in the rione Sant'Angelo; it is located in Via Montanara, at the crossroad with Via del Teatro Marcello. The church formerly rose on the preexisting Chiesa di San Biagio de Mercato, whose remains were discovered during the demolition of the church of Santa Rita.
The church was built in 1643 by architect Carlo Fontana in place of a former church, built by the family Bucabella in the 11th century, and rose at the base of the staircase of Santa Maria in Aracoeli, on its left side. It was dedicated to Saint Blaise. Pope Alexander VII entrusted the church to the brotherhood of the Holy Thorn of the Cross of Jesus.
The worship of Saint Rita of Cascia was added to the one of Saint Blaise in 1900, the year of her canonization.
In 1928, as a consequence of the demolitions in the area to make space to the Via del Mare (now Via del Teatro di Marcello), the church was dismantled piece by piece and deposited with the aim of rebuilding it in the same place. Nonetheless, in 1940 the church was rebuilt in its present location, as remembered by a commemorative stone on the left side of the building. Template:Quote Template:Quote
The church is now deconsecrated and used for meetings, conferences and concerts.
The façade is decorated with lesenes and stuccoes. The interior is on the Greek cross plan with a convex rhomboidal map, like the one of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane. The apse, deeper than the side chapels, still houses the baroque altar made of polychrome marbles and a stained glass window depicting Saint Rita of Cascia. The dome is in the middle.
- F. Titi, Descrizione delle Pitture, Sculture e Architetture esposte in Roma, Rome 1763
- M. Armellini, Le chiese di Roma dal secolo IV al XIX, Rome 1891
- C. Hulsen, Le chiese di Roma nel Medio Evo, Florence 1927
- Anna Maria Affanni, Demolizione e ricostruzione della Chiesa di S. Rita da Cascia in Gli anni del Governatorato (1926-1944), pp. 131–137, Collana Quaderni dei monumenti, Rome, Edizioni Kappa, 1995. ISBN 88-7890-181-4.
- M. Quercioli, Rione XI S. Angelo, in AA.VV, I rioni di Roma, Newton & Compton Editori, Milano 2000, Vol. II, pp. 726–765.
- C. Rendina, Le Chiese di Roma, Newton & Compton Editori, Milan 2000, p. 324.
- Engraving by Giovanni Battista Falda, showing the church in its former location at the feet of the Aracoeli