Church of San Nicolás (Madrid)
The Church of San Nicolás (Spanish: Iglesia de San Nicolás) is a church located in Madrid, Spain.
The church dates back to medieval times, although it has been much altered over the centuries. The building was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1978,.<ref name="bic">Template:Bien de Interés Cultural</ref> Its tower was already protected, having been declared a national monument in 1931.
The Church of St. Nicholas in Bari is named in the Law of Madrid of 1202 as one of the city parishes. Today is the oldest church in Madrid, after the demolition of the Church of Santa Maria de la Almudena. The archaeological remains and situation suggest that might be a Muslim mosque, although it is likely that its construction date of 12th century, since their tower national monument in 1931 and located south of the building, has all the characteristics of being a bell Moorish of the time. The nave and chapels were renovated in the 17th century.
In the restoration of the year 1805, the Church of St. Nicholas parish lost range for the neighboring El Salvador so the building was abandoned until in 1825 was given to the congregation of the Third Order of Servite, who restored the temple and conditioned. In 1842 due to the demolition of the parish of El Salvador, the parroquialidad returned to St. Nicholas, but in the year 1891 moved again to the church that had been Anton Martin Hospital in Atocha street, parish today El Salvador and San Nicolás, leaving the old building as a church of St. Nicholas of Servite, name that is currently the known.
At the end of century profile interventions have been implemented, the main one being held in 1983. In some of these interventions was the replacement of the stone, he must be very poor, in the apse, where they appreciate different finishes to the original stone.
Successive restorations that this building has undergone over the centuries have conditioned its current appearance. Built on a three naves, apse has a 15th-century, built with hewn stone from small outcrops of Upper Cretaceous, except the window is illuminated inside with granite recercada. This comes from quarried stone areas The Molar or Torrelaguna (Quarries Redueña). It also highlights the beautiful Mudejar covering the nave and the apse of the Gothic vault.
The most interesting feature of this temple is undoubtedly its tower, dating from the 12th century except the Herrerian style spire tops, made of slate for the 18th century. It has a square and is constructed of brick decorated with blind arches. The brick has dimensions of 30 x 15 cm in the lower parts, but it was the brick bell tower area are smaller and of a different hue. This tower possibly corresponds to one of the Arab minarets preserved in the city. The tower was transformed in the 14th century, when it changed the cover, which was subsequently replaced by the spire.
The church has two entrances, both with jambs and lintels made of granite. The principal is a beautiful cover Baroque carved in the 18th century by Luis Salvador Carmona where is the image of St. Nicholas in a relief. The whole façade is inserted in this cover is made of brick with a layout and dimensions very different from the rest of the building. The other is a semicircular door, inserted in a socket façade masonry flint evolves vertically curbs brick masonry with drawers, which corresponds to the so-called "rigging Toledo", which also promptly displayed a dolomite-limestone masonry Tertiary. This front end on the upper level with three windows and a balcony on brick.
- :es:Iglesia de San Nicolás (Madrid)