Church of St Mary Axe
Template:About Template:Infobox church Template:Portal St. Mary Axe, sometimes referred to as St. Mary Pellipar, was a mediaeval church in the City of London whose full name was St. Mary, St. Ursula and her 11,000 Virgins.
It was situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. First mentioned as St Mary apud Ax, it belonged for a time to the nearby Priory of St. Helens. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries it was still extant but in decline, and in 1562 it was offered to Spanish Protestant refugees as a place of worship. Three years later, however, it was unused and in a state of disrepair. Shortly afterwards it was pulled down and its parish was united with that of the neighbouring St. Andrew Undershaft.
The church gave its name to a street of the same name, which links Leadenhall Street with Camomile Street and Houndsditch. No. 30 was the location of the Baltic Exchange until it was destroyed by an IRA bomb in 1992; the Exchange is now located at No. 38 just to the north of its former address. On the site of the old Baltic Exchange now stands 30 St. Mary Axe, a skyscraper known colloquially as The Gherkin because of its distinctive shape.
St. Mary Axe was also the location of the sorcerer's shop in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta The Sorcerer, which documents the former pronunciation "Simmery Axe".
<references/> Template:Churches in the City of London