Churchfield Road

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


For the area in Sandwell, West Midlands see Churchfield, Sandwell

Churchfield Road, Acton, runs north of and parallel to Acton High Street. At the eastern end is the level crossing of Acton Central railway station after which it becomes East Churchfield Road. The western end forms a junction of which the northern road is Horn Lane, the southern Market Place and the western, the now pedestrianised King Street. St. Mary's Burial Ground lies on the southern side of the centre section of the road.

It has its own community association formed in 2001.

TV Location

This area of West London is a popular location for filming as it is close to the BBC Television Centre as well as other studios.

Several Monty Python sketches were filmed on Churchfield Road.

In the later years of Minder, the entrance to the Winchester Club was in Newburgh Road, just off Churchfield Road.

Popular Culture

Adam Faith was born at 4 Churchfield Road on 23 June 1940 and lived there until 1960.

Lionel Bart lived at 33/35a Churchfield Road until his death in 1999.

Waitrose opened their second branch at 65 Churchfield Road in 1913.

Eric Ravilious was born at 90 Churchfield Road on 22 July 1903.


Churchfield road can be divided into two retail sections, the eastern end nearest the station and the western end nearest the mount that merges into the main shopping area. In recent years there has been a slight decline in the number of shops in the road with many of those closed remaining empty. The Sub-Post office at number 24 closed in 2010, after many years.

Public Houses

The Station House next to the current Acton Central railway station was formerly the station building itself. It has previously been called The Central Bar and The Churchfield

The Albion at number 2, closed down in 2010 having been open since at least 1881.

The Rocket, formerly The Station Hotel at 11 & 13 has been open since at least 1881.

Foley's at number 115, formerly the Mechanics Arms closed down in 2011 having been open since at least 1889.