Comillas Pontifical University
The university ranks as the 5th best among Spain's law schools, in a ranking done by the national newspaper, El Mundo, 4th in best industrial engineering schools and 3rd in best social work schools.
The university is involved in a number of academic exchange programmes, work practice schemes and international projects with over 200 institutions of higher education in Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia.
Pope Leo XIII founded the Seminary of St. Anthony of Padua in 1890 in the town of Comillas, Cantabria, in response to efforts made by the Marquis of Comillas to build an institution for educating local candidates to the priesthood. At the time of its foundation, the seminary was entrusted to the Society of Jesus. In 1904, the seminary was raised to the status of a Pontifical university when Pope Pius X granted the school the power to confer academic degrees in theology, philosophy and canon law.
In 1969 the university was moved to Madrid, where its doors were opened to a wider range of students.
In 1978 the Jesuits incorporated into the university their Madrid's higher education institution ICAI-ICADE, the resultant entity of the merger in 1960 of ICAI and ICADE, two institutes established in 1908 and 1956 respectively. They are today the ICAI School of Engineering, the ICADE School of Law and the ICADE School of Business and Economics.
Several other schools, like the San Juan de Dios School of Nursing, were incorporated later on, to reach the university's present structure of seven colleges and schools:
- Facultad de Teología (Theological College)
- Facultad de Derecho Canónico (Canon Law College)
- Facultad de Ciencias Humanas y Sociales (Human and Social Sciences College)
- Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería ICAI (ICAI School of Engineering)
- Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales ICADE (ICADE School of Business and Economics)
- Facultad de Derecho ICADE (ICADE School of Law)
- Escuela Universitaria de Enfermería y Fisioterapia "San Juan de Dios" (San Juan of God School of Nursing and Physiotherapy)
In recent years, new study and research centres and institutes have been created (Institute for Research in Technology, Institute for Liberalism, Krausism and Freemasonry Research, Graduate Studies Institute, Institute for Educational Science, Institute for Migration Research, Faith and Secularism Institute, Law Innovation Center, Modern Language Institute, University Institute on the Family).
- List of modern universities in Europe (1801–1945)
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas. Official website
- IIT - Institute for Research in Technology. Official website