From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox dava

Cumidava (also Comidava, Komidava, Template:Lang-grc) was originally a Dacian settlement, and later a Roman military camp on the site of the modern city of Râ?nov (15 km from Bra?ov) in Romania.


After Roman conquest of Dacia, the Dacian name Comidava had been modified by the Latin writers to Cumidava.Template:Sfn (Note: It is very common in the Late Latin inscriptions to express the letter "o" by "u", e.g. patrunus instead of patronus 'protector', and Latin rumpia instead of Greek ??????? (Rhomphaia) 'Thracian claymore / sword'.)

The name Comidava is a compound of dava ‘town’ and “comi”. The scholars' opinions about the meaning of the Dacian word “Comi/Cumi” include:

  • ‘Desire, love’- word explained by the ancient Iranian Kamya, with an obscure pronociation of the "a ". The term “Comi” is also contained in the name of the Dacian prince and priest Como-sicus
  • 'Lovely' (Romanian Dr?g?ne?ti)

Another town named Comidava / Cumidava was situated in the Remesiana’s territory


Early references

File:Teritoriul onomastic al elementului dava - Sorin Olteanu.jpg
Onomastic range of the Dacian towns with the dava ending, covering Dacia, Moesia, Thrace and Dalmatia

Early references to Cumidava are made by the geographer Ptolemy in his Geographia, in the form Komidava (Template:Lang-grc).

An inscription on stone dedicated to Julia Avita Mamaea, the mother of the Roman Emperor Alexander Severus (dated 222-235 AD), allows the localization of the Dacian settlement Cumidava in the area of present-day Râ?nov.<ref name="France. 1968">L'Année épigraphique: revue des publications épigraphiques relatives a l'antiquité romaine, Académie des inscriptions & belles-lettres (France) Presses Universitaires de France., 1968,</ref>

The archaeological research at Râ?nov was initiated in 1856 by Johann Michael Ackner and continued in 1939 by Macrea Mihail who also recorded the presence of Dacian pottery during the digs at the Rasnov Roman camp

The inscription found in 1939:


After Roman conquest, a part of the kingdom of Dacia was included in the Roman Empire. Septimius Severus (Roman emperor from 193 to 211 AD) pushed Dacia’s eastern frontier approximately 10 to 14 kilometers (6 to 9 miles) east of the Olt River (Limes Transalutanus), constructing a series of 14 camps, over a distance of cca. Template:Convert, beginning at Fl?mânda on the Danube and stretching northward to Cumidava (now Râ?nov).

Cumidava had a military road link with Angustia (now Bre?cu), the farthest east of the Roman campus in Dacia.

From a Dacian town to a Roman military castrum


The Roman military castrum Cumidava was identified at 4 km northwest of the city Râ?nov, at the common border with the city of Vulcan.

Sinaia lead plates

Cumidava is mentioned also on the controversial Sinaia lead plates in the form Comidava, which is used as example to debunk the myth around them. According to the director of the Romanian Institute of Archaeology, Alexandru Vulpe, the tablets include only what was known before 1900, for example, the form Comidava from Ptolemy, although now it's known that the correct spelling is Cumidava, as found in 1942 in an inscription.Template:Which<ref name="formulaas">Din tainele istoriei - Misterul tablitelor de plumb, Formula As, n. 649; 2005</ref>

See also

  • Dacia
  • Roman Dacia
  • List of ancient cities in Dacia
  • Dacian davae





Further reading

External links


Template:Dacian cities Template:Dacia topics