The Curtain Theatre was an Elizabethan playhouse located in Curtain Close, Shoreditch (part of the modern London Borough of Hackney), just outside the City of London. It opened in 1577, and continued staging plays until 1622.
The Curtain was built some 200 yards south of London's first playhouse, The Theatre, which had opened a year before, in 1576. It was called the "Curtain" because it was located near a plot of land called Curtain Close, not because of the sort of front curtain associated with modern theatres, but of its proximity of the City walls, curtain or curtain wall referring to the part of city walls between two bastions.
Little is known of the plays performed at the Curtain or of the playing companies that performed there. Henry Lanman appears to have been its proprietor, who is described as a "gentleman." In 1585, Lanman made an agreement with the proprietor of the Theatre, James Burbage, to use the Curtain as a supplementary house, or "teaser," to the more prestigious older playhouse.
From 1597 to 1599, it became the premier venue of Shakespeare's Company, the Lord Chamberlain's Men, who had been forced to leave their former playing space at The Theatre after the latter closed in 1596. It was the venue of several of Shakespeare's plays, including Romeo and Juliet (which gained "Curtain plaudits") and Henry V. In this latter play the somewhat undistinguished Curtain gains immortal fame by being described by Shakespeare as "this wooden O." The Lord Chamberlain's Men also performed Ben Jonson's Every Man in His Humour here in 1598, with Shakespeare in the cast. Later that same year Jonson gained a certain notoriety by killing actor Gabriel Spencer in a duel in nearby Hoxton Fields. The Lord Chamberlain's Men departed the Curtain when the Globe, which they built to replace the Theatre, was ready for use (1599).
The London theatres, including the Curtain, were closed from 1592-1594 due to the bubonic plague according to Alchin in his complete works on Shakespeare.
As far as is known, Lanman ran the Curtain as a private concern for the first phase of its existence; He died in 1592 and it is assumed by Edmund Chambers that the theatre had been re-arranged into a shareholder’s enterprise before his death at some point. Thomas Pope, one of the Lord Chamberlain's Men, owned a share in the Curtain and left it to his heirs in his last will and testament in 1603. King's Men member John Underwood did the same in 1624. The fact that both of these shareholders belonged to Shakespeare's company may indicate that the re-organization of the Curtain occurred when the Lord Chamberlain's Men were acting there.
In 1603, the Curtain became the playhouse of Queen Anne's Men (formerly known as Worcester's Men, and formerly at the Rose Theatre, where they'd played Heywood's A Woman Kill'd With Kindness in February of that year). In 1607, The Travels of the Three English Brothers, by Rowley, Day, and Wilkins, was performed at the Curtain.
Burbage’s pooling agreement had run out in 1592, therefore he was no longer part of the Curtain. The Curtain had been in use from 1577 until 1622 after which its ultimate fate is obscure as there is no record of it after 1627. A plaque marks its site today, at 18 Hewett Street off Curtain Road.
J. Leeds Barroll focuses in Shakespeare studies: An annual gathering of Research, Criticism and Reviews on the fact that Henry Lanman had offered the Curtain as an easer to James Burbage, proprietor of the Theatre. Thereby, he assumes that Lanman’s business, the Curtain, must have been doing as well as Burbage’s business, the Theatre, since both, Lanman and Burbage, had agreed on a pooling arrangement for seven years in 1585, to pool profits. Otherwise, it would be very unwise of Burbage to pool profits if he did better in the first place. Thus, the suggestion is given that both proprietors were doing equal business.
Even though the Curtain was closed after 1622 without any clear causes, the issue of financial problems cannot be addressed to that event without evidence.
The Curtain Theatre features in the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love.
In June 2012, excavators from the Museum of London Archaeology announced that they had uncovered the remains of the theatre. The remains will be available for public access when work is complete.<ref name="guardian20120605">Template:Cite news</ref> In 2013 plans were submitted to develop the site with a 40-storey tower of 400 apartments plus Shakespeare museum, 250-seat outdoor auditorium and park, with the archaeological remains visible in a glass enclosure.
- Chambers, E. K. The Elizabethan Stage. 4 Volumes, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1923.
- Shapiro, J. (2005) 1599: A Year in the Life of Shakespeare. Faber and Faber.
- Schoenbaum, S. (1987) William Shakespeare: A Compact Documentary Life. OUP.
- Wood, M. (2003) In Search of Shakespeare. BBC Worldwide.
- Template:Cite web
- Chambers, Edmund K. The Elizabethan Stage. Vol.5. New York: Oxford University Press,
2009. Print. 5 vols.
- Shakespearean Playhouses, by Joseph Quincy Adams, Jr. from Project Gutenberg