Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum
The Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum (German; translated German Hunting and Fishing Museum) is a museum exhibiting objects connected with the history of hunting and fishing in Germany or other territories which nowadays belong to it.
Located in the pedestrian zone of the city center of Munich, Bavaria, it is a rare institution worldwide. The building has been a church (Augustinerkirche) which was part of a large Augustinian monastery between the 13th century and 1803.<ref name=Asia>Template:Cite web</ref> The museum has a display area of approximately Template:Convert.
Around 1900, with hunting being at its (last) height of popularity, people asked for a hunting museum. In 1934, the museum was finally established.
During World War II, most of the objects were saved in Schloßgut Ast near Landshut, Bavaria. All other objects were lost because of looting. After the war, there was a big discussion about the further structure of the Reichsjagdmuseum. In 1958, the year of the 800th anniversary of the founding of the city, the decision in favor of the Augustinerkirche was taken. The "Deutsches Jagdmuseum" was re-opened on Hubertustag, 3 November 1966.
In 1982, fishing was added as a field of interest. At the same time, the museum was renamed "Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum".
The museum exhibits about 500 wild stuffed animals,<ref name=Asia/> including an Irish Elk, a Cave bear and several endemic Fresh water fish. The collection include fishing tackle, hunting weapons (esp. 15th to 19th century), and large sledges presenting a time span of several centuries.
Furthermore, several so-called Wolpertinger creatures, Bavarian fictional animals, are on display.