Egham Template:IPAc-en is a town in the Runnymede borough of Surrey, in the south-east of England. It is part of the London commuter belt and Greater London Urban Area and has its own railway station. It adjoins, narrowly, junction 13 of the M25 motorway and is centred Template:Convert WSW of London. It can be considered a University town as it has on its higher part, Egham Hill, the campus of Royal Holloway, University of London.
Egham predates 666AD when Chertsey Abbey was founded with lands which included that of Ecga's Ham, from which the name Egham derives.
Egham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Egeham. It was held by Chertsey Abbey when its assets were: 15 hides; 12 ploughlands, Template:Convert of meadow, together with woodland, 'herbage and pannage' worth 75 hogs. It rendered one of the largest sums in Surrey to its feudal overlords per year, £30 10s 0d.
The village of Egham was before 19th century losses an ancient parish covering land totalling Template:Convert in the counties of Berkshire (briefly) and Surrey; incorporating Egham, Egham Hill, Coopers Hill, Englefield Green, Virginia Water, Shrubs Hill, Runnymede, Egham Hythe, and a considerable portion of Windsor Great Park. In the medieval period it was divided into four roughly equal tythings:
- Hythe (which was on fairly similar boundaries to Egham Hythe)
- Strode (later also known as Stroude), but which now denotes a much smaller, and inconsistent area
- Englefield, which is partly Englefield Green, partly Virginia Water<ref name=malden-1917/>
The manor of Egham, which includes Runnymede belonged formerly, and in 1215, to Chertsey Abbey, and after the dissolution (around 1540) became the property of the Crown, though granted to various tenants (holders) at different times.<ref name=malden-1917>H.E. MALDEN, M.A. Magna Carta Commemoration Essays, 1917</ref>
thumbThe Magna Carta was sealed at nearby Runnymede in 1215, and is commemorated by a memorial, built in 1957 by the American Bar Association, at the foot of Cooper's Hill (a small rise adjacent to the Thames floodplain, immortalised in verse by such luminaries as John Denham ('Cooper's Hill') and Alexander Pope ('Windsor Forest')). A Sculpture portraying King John and Baron Fitzwalter in the act of sealing the Magna Carta is also in Church Road in the centre of town.
Another memorial at the top of the hill in nearby Englefield Green commemorates all Commonwealth air force personnel killed in World War II. It was the first new-built British building to be listed in the post-war era. The memorial is administered by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and freely open to the public year-round. It has excellent views towards London, Windsor and the Surrey Hills, as well as being a place of quiet contemplation and reflection.
Egham at one time held horse races which took place at the Runnymede meadow, which interfered with the Inclosure Act of 1814 (54 G. III, c. 153), and the consequent award made in 1817, which divided up the meadow, as the Act stipulated that any enclosures which should interfere with the holding of Egham races at the end of August upon its usual course must be removed every year. In 1836 the races was presided over by William IV, who gave a plate to be run for at the meeting, which coincided with festivities at Windsor for his daughter's marriage. The races ceased in 1884.<ref name=malden-1917 />
The principal properties were 'Egham Park', and 'Egham Wick'.
More recently Egham was centre to two national issues. On 12 September 2007 a case of foot-and-mouth disease was found in Egham, Template:Convert from the previous outbreak found in early August 2007. In December, 2008, Egham was at the centre of a controversy due to possible traffic impact on the 3 level crossings in the town which will be affected by Heathrow Airtrack. The project has since been abandoned.
Template:Expand section Egham once lay within the Godley hundred, which lay in the early medieval period within Windsor Forest in a part of it which was subject to a long-running dispute as to whether it lay within the historic county boundaries of Surrey or Berkshire.<ref name=m>Template:Cite web</ref>
Egham Rural District was a Local Government District within the administrative county of Surrey. It was created in 1894 and replaced in 1906 with Egham Urban District, which was later abolished in 1974. Since 1974, Egham has been part of the Runnymede borough of Surrey.
Nearby are Staines-upon-Thames, Bagshot, Sunningdale, Englefield Green and Virginia Water, Windsor Great Park, Old Windsor and Windsor itself. The area between Egham and Staines town centres is known as Egham Hythe.
North of Egham is Wraysbury, home of the British Disabled Waterski Association. South is Thorpe Park, a large theme park of rides and attractions. Also near Egham is Ascot Racecourse - another big attraction.
thumb Egham is home to a large research centre for Procter & Gamble, the London Innovation Centre, on Rusham Park, formally owned by Shell oils. P&G has over 550 employees in Egham, working on Fine Fragrance, Beauty Care and Health Care brands, such as Hugo Boss, Olay, and Vicks although in May 2012 P&G announced plans to shed 125 of these jobs. Other notable employers include HCL AXON (an information technology consultancy), Belron (parent company of Autoglass), the EMEA Headquarters of Future Electronics, and the national headquarters of Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Egham is also home to CAB International Europe UK, which holds one of the world's largest collections of microorganisms.
Egham and the eastern part of its historic parish, Egham Hythe share connections with the development and enhancement of prestige sports cars. Egham has been Ferrari's spiritual home in the United Kingdom in the listed Tower Garage. Lagonda was based here. Egham today contains a Ferrari, Maserati, and a Porsche dealership.
Egham has many pubs including The Foresters, The Crown, The Monkey's Forehead and The White Lion. The Spring Rise area of Egham is home to the United Services Club which was formed in 1921 and has recently become well known nationally for the three Real Ale festivals it holds every year. Template:-
Sport and leisure
Egham has a Non-League football club Egham Town F.C. in the Combined Counties League who play at The Runnymede Stadium, Wards Place just beyond the more informal Pooley Green playing field on Thorpe Lea Road.
Egham Cricket Club is a club with several sides and an Academy grouped into four age groups from age 11. This dates to 1913 and is in Vicarage Road, just south of the railway line and within the Thorpe Lea outlying neighbourhood of Egham.
On Pooley Green Road, on the near side of the town centre in the neighbourhood Pooley Green is Egham Leisure Centre which has a large set of gyms as well as a pool and workout/pilates classes available.
A rowing club, Staines Boat Club is on the Egham side of Staines Bridge in the associated neighbourhood (postally), Egham Hythe.
Egham has a small museum based in the Literary Institute,
Egham railway station is on the railway lines from London Waterloo station to Reading and Weybridge. Passenger services are operated by South West Trains. Egham has three level crossings, which could become problematic if the proposed Heathrow Airtrack scheme comes to fruition. Several bus routes connect the town and Royal Holloway to Staines-upon-Thames, Windsor and London Heathrow Airport.
Strode's College is an institution in Egham dating back to 1704 and was a grammar school before being designated a sixth form college in 1975.
Royal Holloway College, a part of the University of London is south of Egham along the A30 road at Englefield Green. It provided accommodation for London 2012 competitors who competed at Eton Dorney.
The Magna Carta School, formerly Hythe County Secondary and Egham Hythe Secondary Modern, is a comprehensive school in Egham Hythe. ACS International Schools has a campus in Egham.
St John's Church Egham is on Church Road, the continuation of the High Street, and is an evangelical Anglican church in the Diocese of Guildford. There are approximately 350 members and a usual Sunday attendance is around 450. The incumbent Vicar is the Revd Jeff Wattley.
Runnymede Christian Fellowship is an international group of people that meet to worship and have fellowship together. They are Pentecostal in nature and part of the Assemblies of God (UK). They meet at Manorcroft School, Wesley Drive, Egham.
Demography and housing
|Output area||Detached||Semi-detached||Terraced||Flats and apartments||Caravans/temporary/mobile homes||shared between households<ref name=ons/>|
|Egham - UK ward||500||932||438||836||1||2|
The average level of accommodation in the region composed of detached houses was 28%, the average that was apartments was 22.6%.
|Output area||Population||Households||% Owned outright||% Owned with a loan||hectares<ref name=ons/>|
|Egham - UK ward||6,384||2,709||26.9||29.6||264|
The proportion of households in the civil parish who owned their home outright compares to the regional average of 35.1%. The proportion who owned their home with a loan compares to the regional average of 32.5%. The remaining % is made up of rented dwellings (plus a negligible % of households living rent-free).
- Hilda Braid, actor, lived in Egham
- Edward Budgen, provisions merchant, resided in Egham
- John Denham, wrote poetry about Egham in the 17th century
- Frederick James Furnivall, co-creator of the Oxford English Dictionary
- Hugh Reginald Haweis, cleric and writer
- Ruth Bowyer, convict and member of Australia's First Fleet
- William Chaloner, counterfeiter, ran a coining operation in Egham.
- Frank Muir, Comedy writer and broadcast personality lived in Egham towards the end of his life.
- Egham town website.
- St John's Church Egham website.
- Magna Carta Essays
- Bibliography of local history
- Egham Hythe, St Paul's Church and Edward Budgen (see history page)
- Runnymede Christian Fellowship website