Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Language College
Template:Infobox UK school Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School (EGA) is a medium sized comprehensive secondary school for girls in Islington, London, England rated as Outstanding by OFSTED in its most recent inspection report. It is named in honour of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, the first woman to gain a medical qualification in the United Kingdom.
EGA’s buildings, which are located between King's Cross railway station and Angel tube station, are named after great women in history, such as Emily Brontë.
Starcross school was founded in 1928 as Starcross School and moved into the buildings made vacant by the 1965 closing of Risinghill School, which had opened in 1960, although a school has existed on the site since 1885 (further extended in 1899 )(originally Rising Hill Street School).<ref name=Cadwalladr>Template:Cite web</ref> Barnsbury Girls' School was created in 1934 on the site of an all age Victorian school in Barnsbury Park. Barnsbury & Starcross merged to form Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in 1984.
In 2009, the school was visited by Michelle Obama, wife of the American president Barack Obama.<ref name=Cadwalladr/> On 25 May 2011, during a state visit of the US president, she took a group of 35 pupils at the school to Oxford University for a presentation. In 2012, the First Lady invited a group of students from EGA to meet her in the White House.
The school was rebuilt as part of the final phase of BSF and the new building opened in November 2012. Demolition of the old buildings and landscaping of the site is now complete.
- Alexandra Burke, singer.<ref name=trib/>
- Melissa Bell, former singer with Soul II Soul and mother of Alexandra Burke.Template:Citation needed
- Grace Fleary, Islington's Got Talent winner and last 25 of the girls in The X Factor.Template:Citation needed
- Jassette Sue-Patt, described by the Islington Tribune as "one of Britain's best-known Black solicitors"<ref name=trib>Template:Cite web</ref> and sisterTemplate:Citation needed of Terry Sue Patt who played Benny Green in the children's television series, Grange Hill.
- List of schools in the London Borough of Islington