Template:More footnotes Template:Infobox building Eltz Manor (Template:Lang-hr, Template:Lang-de) is a Baroque castle in Vukovar, Croatia. The 18th century manor is the location of the Vukovar City Museum. The manor, as it previously appeared, is depicted on the reverse of the Croatian 20 kuna banknote, issued in 1993 and 2001. After four years of restorations, it was completely restored to its pre-war appearance in October 2011.
In 1736 Philipp Karl von Eltz-Kempenich (1665–1743), the Archchancellor of the Holy Roman Empire and Prince-Archbishop of Mainz, had purchased Vukovar manor in the eastern Kingdom of Slavonia (Syrmia), then part of the Habsburg Monarchy ruled by Emperor Charles VI. The castle was originally built between the period of 1749 to 1751 by the Archchancellor's descendants of the German Catholic noble House of Eltz and was gradually extended over time. The estates near the Military Frontier were however exposed to raids by Ottoman troops but also by local Hajduk paramilitary forces.
After the Yugoslav Partisans had gained control over the country in late World War II, the manor was confiscated by the communist administration of Yugoslavia in 1944, and the family of Jakob Graf zu Eltz was forced to leave Vukovar. In 1990, he returned from Eltville to the newly established state of Croatia and became a member of the Sabor parliament at Zagreb. Eltz Manor, however, suffered a great deal of damage during the Croatian War of Independence, when it was bombarded by the Yugoslav People's Army during the Battle of Vukovar.
- Castle Eltz, Vukovar3.JPG
Parts of the manor were nearly destroyed
- Castle Eltz, Vukovar.JPG
Much of the roof were missing after the war
- Castle Eltz Vukovar4.JPG
Damaged tower and destroyed building
- Castle Eltz1, Vukovar.JPG
Damaged main facade
- Castle Eltz, Vukovar2.JPG
Statues of angels in a heraldic setting, with ruins in the background