Farningham is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England. It borders the Dartford Borough and is located on the River Darent, south west of Swanley. It has a population of 1,289. The M20 motorway and the A20 road both pass through the parish.
Farningham is believed to be home to Neolithic history – flint and other tools have been discovered and can be found in the Dartford Museum. The Romans occupied the general area after their invasion in the 1st century and, along with large evidence of habitation down the road in Lullingstone, there is also evidence of Roman habitation in Farningham. Three farmhouses and three villas have been unearthed. Charles Dickens was a visitor during his time for the trout fishing that the Darent provided.
Used only for WW1 there used to be an airfield used by the RAF for emergency landings.
The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
The parish was part of Axstane Hundred and later Dartford Rural District.
Farningham is served by several Kent bus services linking it with areas including Swanley, Dartford and West Kingsdown. The nearest rail link to the village is Eynsford station.
Farningham is situated upon the historic route of the A20, Kent's second major road between the capital and the channel ports. The village itself, with its narrow bridge over the River Darenth, and its narrow streets, was bypassed to the north east in the 1930s. The A225 runs along the Darenth valley and intersects the A20 at the village. The construction of the of first sections of the M25 motorway and M20 motorway in the late 1970s bypassed the village again.
Farningham had a watermill, powered by the River Darent, the building of which survives. There was a windmill at Chimham's Farm, which was moved in 1880 to West Kingsdown, where it still stands.