Franciscan Church, Salzburg

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox religious building

The Franciscan Church (Template:Lang-de) is one of the oldest churches in Salzburg, Austria. The church is located on the corner of Franziskanergasse and Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse opposite the Franciscan Friary in the Altstadt section of the city. The first church on this site was erected in the eighth century. Between 1408 and 1450, a Gothic choir replaced the Romanesque choir. A slender Gothic tower was added between 1468 and 1498. The church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and served as the parish church until 1635.<ref name="sd">Template:Cite web</ref> The church interior was redesigned in the baroque style in the eighteenth century by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.<ref name="sd"/>

History

The original church on this site was built in the eighteenth century during the time of Saint Virgil, who may have used the church for baptisms.<ref name="visit">Template:Cite web</ref> A document from 1139 mentions a parish church on this site; that church was destroyed by fire in 1167.<ref name="visit"/> In the early thirteenth century, the central nave of the church was built in the late-Romanesque style, making it among the oldest buildings in Salzburg.<ref name="visit"/>

Between 1408 and 1450, a Gothic choir replaced the Romanesque choir. A slender Gothic tower was added between 1468 and 1498. The church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and served as the parish church until 1635. In 1670, the archbishop ordered the top of the church's tower to be removed because it was taller than the cathedral tower. The tower was later restored in 1866 in the neo-Gothic style. In the eighteenth century, the church interior was redesigned in the baroque style.<ref name="sd"/>

Description

The church choir contains nine chapels decorated in baroque style by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach in the eighteenth century. The chapel behind the high altar has a winged marble altar that dates from 1561. The High Altar by Fischer von Erlach is made of red marble and gold. The central Madonna statue dates from the Late Gothic period and was sculpted by Michael Pacher of Tyrol.<ref name="sd"/>

Gallery

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Commons category