Template:Dablink Template:Unreferenced Template:Infobox stadium The Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn-Sportpark is a sports site in the Prenzlauer Berg district of Berlin. In the south it borders on the Eberswalder Straße, in the north on the Max Schmeling Halle, in the west on the Mauerpark, where part of the Berlin Wall once stood. It includes a football and athletics stadium as well as several smaller sports fields. The stadium is the second largest in the city after Berlin's Olympiastadion with 20,000 seats (15,000 covered) and is used by football sides 1. FC Union Berlin II and Türkiyemspor Berlin, with Berliner FC Dynamo using the stadium in the past for European matches.
Since 1825, the area was used as the drill grounds of the Guard Regiment of the Prussian army. Some housing was constructed on the site late in the 19th century, but this was a short-lived use and the area soon became an open space used for sports. Between 1892 and 1904, the site served as the ground of Hertha BSC. The city of Berlin purchased the land in 1912 and developed it for sports use in 1913.
After World War II and the division of the capital city, the area was part of what became East Berlin, in the Soviet zone of occupation. A football and athletics stadium, with a capacity of 30,000 spectators, was built on the site in 1951, for use during the World Youth Festival that year. Known initially as Berliner Sportpark, East German municipal officials renamed the facility the Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn-Sportpark the following year, to honour the centenary of the birth of the man known in Germany as the father of gymnastics. The stadium was refurbished in 1988 and its capacity reduced to the present-day number.
Use of the site
From 1963 to 1989, the facility hosted the Olympic Day of Athletics competition, modeled on a similar event staged each year in West Berlin. The meet saw the setting of several world records, including Uwe Hohn's record javelin throw of 104.80 meters on 20 July 1984 – the first time a throw of over 100 meters was made.
East German first division club Berliner FC Dynamo played its DDR-Oberliga home fixtures here. In addition, the national side played ten international matches at the stadium between 1951 and 1990, including its 13 March 1974 contest versus Belgium, which ended with a 5–2 victory in front of a record 30,000 spectators.
The stadium was used by the Berlin Thunder of the NFL Europe, whenever the Olympiastadion was unavailable. The amateur side of Hertha BSC (Hertha BSC II) also use the facility, when they expect an unusually large crowd or where there are security concerns related to a match. The final of the Berlin Cup is also held here each season.
In July 2006 the first team of Hertha BSC played its UEFA Intertoto Cup semi-final match against FK Moscow (0–0) in front of 8,500 spectators here, as well as its UEFA Cup qualification home contest against Georgian club FC Ameri Tbilisi (1–0).
The facility also serves as a concert venue and has welcomed performers such as Michael Jackson.
In May 2001 stadium hosted the 2001 Speedway Grand Prix of Germany, first GP event at temporary track. The Grand Prix was won by Pole Tomasz Gollob, top German rider, Robert Barth, finished 14th.
- Berlin Old Nordbahnhof