The GelreDome (Template:IPA-nl) is a football stadium in the city of Arnhem, in the Netherlands. It serves as the home of the football club Vitesse. It was opened on 25 March 1998, featuring a retractable roof, as well as a convertible pitch, that can be retracted, when unused during concerts or other events held at the stadium, and a climate control system. It has a maximum capacity of 34,000. It was also one of the venues for the Euro 2000 tournament held in the Netherlands and Belgium. It replaced the Nieuw Monnikenhuize.
The GelreDome hosted its second UEFA Champions League game on August 13, 2008, between FC Twente and Arsenal, as Vitesse are loaning Twente the stadium for this match, due to expansion work being done on Twente's home stadium, De Grolsch Veste. In 2001, PSV Eindhoven played a Champions League game in the GelreDome, as part of the UEFA sanction, after the riots in the game against 1. FC Kaiserslautern the season before.
Even though it was one of the venues for the UEFA 2000 tournament, and is still considered one of the largest and modern stadium in the Netherlands, it was not selected as a venue for the combined Netherlands and Belgium bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, as FIFA requires a minimum capacity of 44,000 seats and expansion is not economically feasible, due to its design.
|Date||Time||Stage||Team #1||Res.||Team #2|
|11 June 2000||2:30pm||Group B||Template:Flagicon Turkey||1–2||Template:Flagicon Italy|
|17 June 2000||6:00pm||Group A||Template:Flagicon Romania||0–1||Template:Flagicon Portugal|
|21 June 2000||6:00pm||Group C||Template:Flagicon Slovenia||0–0||Template:Flagicon Norway|
With its retractable roof as well as a convertible pitch, the stadium regularly hosts concerts.
- Spice Girls performed two concerts on March 28 and 29, 1998 (the latter being recorded for an unofficial live video) during their Spiceworld Tour.
- Janet Jackson was the first solo artist to perform at the dome on June 9, 1998 as part of The Velvet Rope World Tour
- Bon Jovi played at the stadium on the Crush Tour on September 1, 2000
- Britney Spears performed at the dome on November 4, 2000 during her Oops!... I Did It Again Tour. It was her first concert in Netherlands.
- Dj Tiesto performed Tiësto in Concert on 10 May 2003
- Madonna performed two concerts on September 8 and 9, 2004 during her Re-Invention World Tour.
- Sting performed, on two consecutive nights, during the "Symphonica in Rosso", during his Symphonicities Tour, on October 15–16, 2010, along with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Diana Ross headlined the 2009 edition of the "Symphonica In Rosso" festival at the stadium, selling out two nights. Ross was asked to perform a third night, but, had to decline.
- Tina Turner played 2 concerts at the dome on March 21 & 22, 2009 to a crowd of 88.000 during Tina!: 50th Anniversary Tour. These concerts were recorded and released on DVD titled Tina Live.
The GelreDome is also known for the Qlimax and Hard Bass festivals and the Dutch Monster Jam event. It also hosts the EO Youth Day.
- Lady Gaga Played 1 concert, with her Monster Ball Tour on May 15, 2010.
- Iron Maiden performed on 8 June 2011