Ghent Student Regatta
The Ghent Student Regatta is a boat race for students in April 2008 at Portus Ganda in the heart of historical Ghent in Dutch-speaking Flanders, Belgium, was in 2008 a common initiative of Paul Van Cauwenberge, the Rector of Ghent University, in collaboration with Ghent Students Rowing the sports department of the City and Fédération Internationale des Sociétés d'Aviron (FISA) Umpiring Commission Chairman Mr Patrick Rombaut.
Mr Rombaut started the Sprint idea at this location back in September 2007, where his regatta team of the annual May regatta of Ghent organised a race between the rowing teams of Christ Church Boat Club of Oxford University, Henley Rowing Club, a junior team of K.R. Club Gent/Royal Club Nautique de Gand and his own KR Sport Gent 1883 eight. The race was won in 1907 with the colours and blades of K.R.Sport Gent (Royal Sport Nautique de Gand = French name at that time) and they won again in 2007 in this 200m sprint.
The idea came from the Mercedes Benz FISA World Rowing Sprints at Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park in London back in 2002. It was also a trial to bring rowing into city centers again.
There are plans to continue with the enlarged version of the event in every two or three years, on the same location.
British, Anglo-Saxon and also Dutch students have developed a much stronger rowing tradition. The Temple Challenge Cup and the Boat Race have been established as classic examples.
The tournament was opened by an International sprint race in teams of eight by the University of Leiden, Magdalen College, Oxford and Trinity College, Cambridge and eight rowers from Ghent made out of two of the three local open associations. A mixed race. The National race in four, done by Sport Nautique Universitaire de Bruxelles, Limburg Association (Hasselt, near Maastricht) and Ghent Students Rowing, was previously a Belgian version of the Dutch so called Non-fanatical Competition — and Regional students rowing category, organised by their NSRF and the Nationaal Overleg Orgaan Competitieroeien (NOOC).
- Students Rowing Flanders
- Flandersnews.be VRT Flemish Public Television Channel Online
- Worldrowing of the International Rowing Federation FISA
- About Patrick Rombaut in Beijing 2008
- Trinity Boat Club Cambridge U.K.)
- Universiteit Gent
- Template:Nl icon Schamper (students Magazine in Gent
- Template:Nl icon Template:Fr icon Roeien in België Belgian Rowing portal
- Template:Nl icon Studio Brussel VRT Flemish Public Radio Channel for youngsters
- Template:Nl icon Sprintrace Portus Ganda september 2007
- Template:Nl icon Sprint KRSG Ghent 2007
- Christ Church Boat Club Oxford
- Template:Nl icon Destandaard.be, De Standaard
- Template:Nl icon De Sportwereld about the university rector
- Template:Nl icon blog Student in Ghent
- Template:Nl icon About the Portus Ganda historical site
- Template:Nl icon Portus Ganda more Historic
- Template:Nl icon University of Ghent images archive
- Template:Nl icon City of Ghent archives
- Template:Nl icon Rector and option courses Rowing at UGent
- Template:Nl icon Chairmen Patrick Rombaut Media4U
- Template:Nl icon Template:Fr icon Roeien in België - Patrick Rombaut
- Template:Nl icon Blog.be Belgian Toprowers visit Ghent Student Regatta bog