Globe Road and Devonshire Street railway station
Globe Road and Devonshire Street railway station was a station on the site on the main line into Liverpool Street station. It was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on 1 July 1884 when they decided to quadruple the then two-track main line section,<ref name=Butt105>Template:Harvnb</ref> and was situated close to the site of Devonshire Street railway station, which had closed in 1840.
The station only had two platforms which were served by the newly constructed line. The platforms were situated on the railway viaduct and the booking office was situated on street level at the London end of the station in Globe Road. Passengers comfort was provided into first and second-class waiting rooms, first and second-class ladies waiting rooms, a drinking fountain and toilets. There was also a second booking office at Devonshire Street.
There were two signal boxes situated near the station – Globe Street Junction and Devonshire Street – when it opened, although the former closed in 1894 with Devonshire Street taking over its duties.
Competition from Stepney Green tube station on the District line and wartime constraints (notably staff shortages) led to its closure on 22 May 1916<ref name=Butt105 /> and it never re-opened. At that time, many inner London stations were closed, including two nearby stations on the line, Bishopsgate (low level) and Template:Rws; there are now none between Liverpool Street station and Stratford station. Nothing remains of the old station.<ref>London's Abandoned Tube Stations</ref>
The station was demolished in May 1938.
There were a number of sidings opened by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1850 used for goods traffic. There was a short spur line off here that ran parallel with the adjacent Regents canal and allowed coal to be dropped directly in barges. These sidings lasted until the 1980s being used for sand traffic (and known at this point as Mile End Sidings). The sidings are still in situ in 2013 although no regular traffic has used the yard for some years now,
There was also a goods yard adjacent to the station at ground level (the station being on a viaduct at this point) which was built in 1880. Accessed by a steep ramp from the main line the yard was worked by small GER Class B74(LNE classification Y4) 0-4-0T locomotives. There was also a coal yard south of the railway linked to the goods yard with a line through the viaducts carrying the main line.
Although heavily bombed in World War 2 (apparently staff had to jump in the adjacent Regents Canal to avoid fire on one occasion), the yard stayed operational until 1967. Traffic known to have been handled in the yard included coal,fruit and apparently it was the only London goods depot to accept fish for manure purposes.
The lower yard closed in 1967.
- List of closed railway stations in London
- Great Eastern Railway