Template:Use dmy dates Template:Unreferenced Template:Infobox stadium The Hardturm was a football stadium located in Zurich's Kreis 5. Opened in 1929, it was the home of the Grasshopper Club Zürich. It was a host stadium for the 1954 FIFA World Cup.
When the stadium was opened in 1929 it could hold 27,500 spectators. After many reconstructions the capacity was 38,000 in 1986, on time for the 100-Year Anniversary of the Grasshopper Club Zürich. Before closing, Hardturm could hold 17,666 spectators with standing areas for the home and away fans. In international games the Hardturm could hold 16,600 spectators with seating places in all areas.
During re-construction of the Letzigrund stadium, Grasshoppers shared use of the Hardturm with local rivals FC Zürich for the 2006–07 season. This led to protests by Grasshopper fans.
The Hardturm stadium closed in September 2007. Grasshoppers now play at the Letzigrund Stadium.
Hardturm's demolition started in December 2008 and a new stadium, Stadion Zürich is planned on the ground of the Hardturm, but the project has been stalled (as of 2009).
- List of football stadiums in Switzerland