Hawker's Sports Ground
Hawker's Sports Ground (now known as the Hawker Centre) was built and owned by the Hawker Aircraft company who had factories in Kingston-upon-Thames. The ground was known prior to 1948 as the Leyland Motors Ground, due to Hawker leasing their factory to Leyland Motors, a lease which expired in 1948. The aircraft factory was demolished in the 1990 and the surrounding area has been developed, into a residential area but the Sports Ground remains to this day. Since 2001 the ground was run by YMCA London South West under a RBK management agreement. This agreement is due to expire in July 2012 and in its place a new long term lease is expected to be granted to the YMCA London South West].
Cricket at the Hawker Sports Ground The first recorded match on the ground was in 1944, when Leyland Athletic played London Counties. The ground hosted its first first-class match in 1946, when Surrey played Hampshire. These first matches were organised to help raise money to repair the damage done to The Oval in the Second World War. A venue for first-class cricket from 1946 to 1953, it hosted first-class cricket for no less than seven teams, with the final first-class match at the ground in 1953 seeing an England XI play a Commonwealth XI.
- Hawker's Sports Ground on CricketArchive
- Hawker's Sports Ground on Cricinfo
- Hawker Centre on [YMCA London South West]