Hickey's Almshouses

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox Historic Site

Hickey's Almshouses are Grade II* listed almshouses in Richmond, London. The Grade II* listing also extends to the site's chapel (which is dedicated to St Francis)<ref name="Philosophy">Template:Cite web</ref> and to its lodges.<ref name="Listed">Template:Cite web</ref>

A plaque over the entrance records that the almshouses were built "for Ten poor Men and Ten poor Women by the bounty of William Hickey Esq. Who by his Will bequeathed certain Lands and houses in Richmond in Trust for Charitable purposes".<ref name="Gardens">Template:Cite web</ref>


The almshouses are on a site between Sheen Road and St Mary's Grove in Richmond.


File:1834 Inscription at Hickey's Almshouses.jpg
1834 Inscription at Hickey's Almshouses

The first houses, designed by Lewis Vulliamy,<ref name="Cherry and Pevsner"/> were built in 1834 from the income of several properties on Richmond Hill, including The Wick. These properties had been left in trust by William Hickey, who died in 1727, to provide pensions for six men and ten women.<ref name="Notes"/><ref name="Lysons">Template:Cite web</ref> The charity's funds were augmented by a gift of Elizabeth Doughty in 1822.<ref name="Charity">Template:Cite web</ref>

In 1834 the trust decided to use some of the income to build and endow 20 almshouses for 10 men and 10 women, plus a chapel (which was enlarged in 1863 by Arthur Blomfield),<ref name="Cherry and Pevsner"/> and two gate lodge cottages – one for a porter, the other for a nurse – in Sheen Road. Since then another 29 dwellings have been built on land behind the original almshouses.<ref name="Notes">Template:Cite web</ref>

Current status

There are now 49 flats and cottages.<ref name="EAC">Template:Cite web</ref> New residents are accepted from 65 years of age.<ref name="EAC"/>

The almshouses are now managed by Richmond Charities' Almshouses.<ref name="About">Template:Cite web</ref>



External links

Template:LB Richmond