Hornsey railway station
Hornsey railway station is a suburban railway station located in Haringey, north London. It is in Travelcard Zone 3. The station is operated by First Capital Connect on behalf of Network Rail, and is situated next to the Hornsey train depot.
The New River canal flows to the east of the station.
Under plans approved in 1897, the station was to be served by the Great Northern and Strand Railway (GN&SR), a tube railway supported by the GNR which would have run underground beneath the GNR's tracks from Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park and then into central London. The GN&SR stations on each side would have been the same as the main line stations. The GN&SR route and stations north of Finsbury Park were cancelled in 1902 when the GN&SR was taken over by Charles Yerkes' consortium which planned to merge it with the Brompton and Piccadilly Circus Railway to form the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway from Finsbury Park to Hammersmith (now part of the London Underground's Piccadilly line).<ref name=Lost>Template:Cite book</ref>
Services from the station run to Moorgate on weekdays until about 10.00pm, and into London King's Cross after 10.00pm on Mondays to Fridays, and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. The service uses Template:Brc EMUs.
The typical off-peak service is:
- 6 trains per hour (tph) to Moorgate
- 3 tph to Welwyn Garden City, via Potters Bar
- 3 tph to Hertford North, with 1 tph extended to Letchworth Garden City via Stevenage
On Saturdays and Sundays the service is:
- 4 tph to Kings Cross Station
- 2 tph to Welwyn Garden City Station, via Potters Bar railway station
- 2 tph to Hertford North railway station, with 1 tph extended to Stevenage railway station
- Turnpike Lane station on the London Underground's Piccadilly line is a 15 minute walk to the east.
- Bus routes 41, N41 and N91 serve Tottenham Lane (southbound) and Church Lane (northbound) to the west of the station.
- In July 2009, the Department for Transport announced that depots for new Thameslink trains would be built at Hornsey and Three Bridges.