Template:Infobox UK place 140px Hunton Bridge is a small settlement near Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire, England with a historic royal connection. Its population in the 1991 census was 327.<ref name=census>Template:Cite web</ref>
Its period of greatest prosperity was 1810-26 when the Sparrows Herne turnpike ran through the village. Prior to that date the turnpike had run along Gypsy Lane and Upper Highway. In 1810 it was rerouted along Old Mill Lane to the village, and up the hill to reconnect with Upper Highway. By 1826 the presence of the canal, and the works associated with it had dried out the bottom land sufficiently for the turnpike to be rerouted along what is now the A41 avoiding the climb up Hunton Bridge Hill.
Today the village finds itself situated between the M25 London orbital motorway and a spur of the motorway leading to Watford. The A41 trunk road runs just west of the village. The Hunton Bridge filling station just off the Watford spur (Junction 19 of the M25) is a local landmark.
Hunton Bridge currently has three public houses. It used to have five, having lost the Maltsters Arms in 1963, and the Farriers Arms in 1965.<ref name=AHV>Template:Cite book</ref>
The remaining pubs are :
- The Kings Head a 300 year old grade II listed building which has now been refurbished as a restaurant and bar. In the years when the turnpike ran through Hunton Bridge it served as a coaching inn;
- the Kings Lodge, which was built in 1642 as a hunting lodge for King Charles I, also refurbished as a restaurant and bar
- the Dog and Partridge on Old Mill Road.
1 Bridge Road
The land adjacent to the Grand Union Canal and to the north of Bridge Road was in industrial use from the opening of the canal. A coal wharf known as Hunton Bridge Wharf was established approximately 100 years after the opening, consisting of a tramway, warehouse and managers dwelling. Of these buildings only the cottage remains at 1 Bridge Road.
The Old School House
The original house was demolished and replaced with the current fine brick early Georgian building which was built in the late 1720s. Subsequent changes were made during the 1800s such as the addition of the library joining the main house to the servant wing.
Hunton Canal Bridge
The original structure was demolished in 1932 and replaced with an ornate reinforced concrete skew arch. The structure includes an ornate cornice to the parapet and balustrades. The existing western edge beam was demolished in 1983 due to a vehicular impact with a new aluminium parapet. The structure was Grade II listed in 1985.Template:Citation needed
On the 28th June 1984, Three Rivers District Council Planning Committee resolved that an area of Hunton Bridge, should be designated as a Conservation Area, and subsequently extended in 1990 in terms of the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.
Listed buildings within the boundary include
Grade II* Listed
- Church of St. Paul
- The Kings Lodge
Grade II Listed
- Lych Gate
- Loyd Memorial Cross
- The Old School House
- The Kings Head Public House
- K6 Telephone Kiosk
- Hunton Canal Bridge
Locally Important Buildings
- 1, Bridge Road
- Brookside Cottages
- Abbots Langley
- Kings Langley