Itterbeek is a village and deelgemeente of Dilbeek.
De community derives its name from the Indo-European words 'eud-' (water) en 'baki' (stream). One of the first mentions dates back to the 12th century, as Itrebecche. In 1176 the village was mentioned as Itterbecca.
Itterbeek used to be part of the allodium of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw. During the 9th century, it became part of the kapittel of Keulen. Itterbeek gained some importance in the 13th century when the area, despite the presence of vassals of the family van der Aa, came under the power of Gaasbeek and formed the so-called Nieuw Land van Gaasbeek together with Dilbeek and Sint-Martens-Bodegem. The higher judiciary power was exercised by a separate, local court. Around 1244, Itterbeek became a separate parish, as part of the diocese of Kamerijk. The oldest seal of Itterbeek, that was used in 1309, consisted of a star and the words “S. Scabinorum de Itterbeka”. On a second seal, that was used around 1380, a crowned lion carrying a double rook is seen. The escutcheon of Itterbeek is derived from this seal. and
In 1690 Itterbeek, Dilbeek and Sint-Martens-Bodegem were made a countship, Tirimont, by Charles II, King of Spanje, in favor of Lodewijk-Alexander Scockart.
In 1977 Itterbeek became a part of Dilbeek.
With her 4487 inhabitants and her 541 hectares, Itterbeek is the fourth largest deelgemeente (after Dilbeek, Groot-Bijgaarden and Schepdaal). The village of Sint-Anna-Pede (and a small part of Sint-Gertrudis-Pede) also lie within the borders of Itterbeek.
- The gotic 13th century Sint-Pieter Church
- The Sint-Anna Church in Sint-Anna-Pede: a 13th-century Roman church, which is depicted on the The Blind Leading the Blind by Pieter Brueghel the elder.
- The Bruegelmuseum: 12 large reproductions of landscapes by Pieter Brueghel, who came to the area looking for inspiration.
- The zeventien bruggen (seventeen bridges: a concrete viaduct of 520m long and 28 m high across the valley of the Pedebeek. Sixteen of the bridges are part of the viaduct, while the seventeenth bridge lies under one of the arches.
- Timmermans Brewery: a Lambic beer brewery that was founded in 1781.
- Chiro Allegro and Jokonta
- Davidsfonds Itterbeek, KWBTemplate:Dn, KAV en KVLVTemplate:Dn
- Kon. Fanfare Sint-Pieter
- Theater company Saffier
- 't Keperke
- De Wip
- Football Club KVC Itna Itterbeek
- Tennis associatian SDI