The Jacobikerk is a landmark Protestant church in Utrecht (city), Netherlands. The building is located on the St Jacobsstraat, named for its patron saint St. James the Greater. The church is one of the medieval parish churches of Utrecht, along with the Buurkerk, the Nicolaïkerk and the Geertekerk. Today it is known as the starting place for Dutch pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostella along the Way of St. James. The Dutch Confraternity of St. James is located around the corner on the St. Jacobskerkhof.
The current gothic church dates from the end of the 13th century, but was expanded in the 14th and 15th centuries.<ref name=Web>Church website</ref> In 1576-1577 a cannon was installed in the church tower, aimed at Vredenburg (castle) where the Spanish soldiers there were under siege by the Utrecht schutters.<ref name=Web/> Around 1580 the church endured the protestant reformation and in 1586 it was formally handed over to the protestants, who whitewashed the wall decorations and removed the altarpieces.<ref name=Web/>
The tower bell was made by S. Butendiic in 1479, with a diameter of 182 cm.<ref name=Rijks>Rijksmonument report</ref>
The church is still used on Sundays as a church but can be rented it out the rest of the week for other functions, including weddings and concerts, but also various cultural initiatives of the city or the local university.<ref name=Web/>
- Website Protestantse Wijkgemeente Jacobikerk (Dutch only)
- Website Genootschap St. Jacob (Dutch only)