Jardin du Maelbeek

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Jardin du Maelbeek 7-9 A.jpg
Looking south east towards the Rue de la Loi, the Charlemagne (left) and Lex (right) buildings tower over the park

The Maalbeekdaltuin (Dutch) or Jardin de la vallée du Maelbeek (French) is a small green space on the corner of the Rue de la Loi and Chaussé d'Etterbeek/Etterbeeksesteenweg at the heart of the European Quarter of Brussels (Belgium). It was inaugurated on 13 May 1951.<ref name="Demey">Template:Cite book</ref>

The park is testimony to the local resident's struggle against the rapid urbanisation (see Brusselization) in the quarter that lacked urban planning and new green spaces. The site was originally destined to be used for a new headquarters for the Council of the European Union (which eventually moved into the Justus Lipsius building across the road) but in the face of unanimous opposition the Belgian government tried to sell, what was then a temporary car park, it to property developers before it was converted into a local park.<ref name="Demey"/>

File:Jardin du Maelbeek 7-9 B.jpg
View north from raised decking area

As well as acting as a symbol of the quarter's urbanisation, a miniature river reflects the Maelbeek river which once flowed through the area, but is now channelled through an underground collector.<ref name="Demey"/>

See also

  • Maalbeek
  • Maelbeek/Maalbeek metro station
  • Brusselization
  • Brussels and the European Union

References

Template:Reflist

Template:Coord