Jewish Cemetery of Diemen
The Jewish Cemetery of Diemen, or Joodse Begraafplaats Diemen in Diemen, is owned by the Jewish community of Amsterdam, which is a subsection of the "Nederlands Israëlitisch Kerkgenootschap". It came into use in 1914 when the older Jewish cemetery in Amsterdam Zeeburg reached its limit. In 1925 it was split by a train line. The cemetery can still be seen today by train passengers travelling eastwards from Amsterdam. Unusual for a Jewish cemetery is the presence of urns, most of which hold the remains of Jews who were cremated at Westerbork during the World War II years. Field A is the field 1914-1927, east. West of the train line are the fields B, C and D, in use from 1928. In 1958 a large part of the Amsterdam Zeeburg cemetery was relocated to Diemen, due to city of Amsterdam expansion. 3 Fields, all called Field Z, with 28,000 graves, almost no individual stones were brought over. A memorial stone explains the origin of Field Z, some smaller stones alongside these Fields Z are placed. The small Field U, with stones very close to each other, is the field with the urns from Westerbork.
Field D still is in use.
- Website JHM - Amsterdam
- Michman, J., Beem, H. en Michman, D. (1992), Pinkas: geschiedenis van de joodse gemeenschap in Nederland, Antwerpen/Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Contact. ISBN 90-254-9513-3