King's Cross Central
King's Cross Central (KXC) is a multi-billion pound mixed-use property development in central London.Template:Citation needed The site is owned and controlled by London and Continental Railways (LCR) and Exel, which selected Argent St George to be the developer for King's Cross Central, after an extensive selection process. The site consists of approximately Template:Convert of former railway lands, mostly to the north of King's Cross and St Pancras mainline railway stations. The site is largely determined by three boundaries: the existing East Coast Main Line railway leading out of King's Cross; York Way, a road marking the division between Camden and Islington; and the new railway line, High Speed 1 (HS1), formerly known as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, which curves around the site to the north and west.
A small section of the project, known as the "Triangle Site", falls within the boundaries of Islington. Camden Council granted outline planning permission for the main part of the site in early 2006. This has now been approved by the national government and the Mayor of London, although separate planning permission for the Triangle Site is still required from Islington Council.
The majority of the land at King's Cross Central was used for HS1 construction purposes from July 2001 until autumn 2007. Following the opening of HS1 on 14 November 2007, and with outline planning permission, GLA (Greater London Authority) and GOL approval, the developer Argent Group PLC is now at work. Several buildings are under construction, and Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design of the University of the Arts London has become the first occupant of new premises and one of the listed buildings.
The master planners for the development are Allies and Morrison, Demetri Porphyrios, and Townshend Landscape Architects.
- 1 History
- 2 Organisations within or immediately adjacent to the area
- 3 Key Facts
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The area of what is today Kings Cross was farmland, intersected by York Way heading north leading to a bridge which crossed the River Fleet at Battlebridge. This name led to a tradition that this was the site of a major battle between the Romans and the Iceni tribe led by Boudica (also known as Boudicea), support by writings from the ancient Roman historian Publius Cornelius Tacitus.<ref name="thornbury">Template:Cite web</ref>
1820: Regents Canal
In was not until the development of New Road in 1765 (later to become Euston Road), that the development of Kings Cross began. Initially developed as terraced housing, with the opening of the Regents Canal in 1820 the area became industrialised. In 1824 the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company developed a gas works south of the canal, which drew a number of other highly-polluting industries into the area.
1835: Kings Cross
Around 1835 a Template:Convert high monument topped by an Template:Convert statue of King George IV was built at the junction of Gray's Inn Road, Pentonville Road and New Road, which later became Euston Road. Designed by architect Stephen Geary,<ref name=survey>Template:Cite web</ref> The statue was constructed of bricks and mortar, and finished in a manner that gave it the appearance of stone "at least to the eyes of common spectators",<ref name=gmam>Template:Cite journal quoting The Architectural Magazine</ref> allowing it to cost no more than £25. Described by George Walter Thornbury as "a ridiculous octagonal structure crowned by an absurd statue",<ref name="thornbury"/> the upper storey was used as a camera obscura while the base in turn housed a police station and a public house. The unpopular building was demolished in 1845, though the area kept the name of Kings Cross.<ref name="thornbury"/>
A structure in the form of a lighthouse was built on top of a building almost on the site about 30 years later. Known locally as the "Lighthouse Building", the popular theory that the structure was an advertisement for Netten's Oyster Bar on the ground floor seems not to be true. It is a grade II listed building.
1850-2: Great Northern Railway's King's Cross
In 1849, the Great Northern Railway (GNR) began development of their East Coast Mainline and station in the area. Purchasing land north of the canal for their goods yard and engine depot, they purchased land south of the canal for their King's Cross railway station. However with the oncoming Great Exhibition, they decided to open a small temporary two platform station within the goods area named Maiden Lane railway station. In 1852 the line was completed over the canal and Kings Cross station, designed by architect Lewis Cubitt, opened.
1856: Midland Railway's St Pancras
Before the 1860s, the Midland Railway had a network of routes in the Midlands, and in south and west Yorkshire and Lancashire but no route of its own to the capital. Up to 1857 the company had no line into London, and used the lines of the London and North Western Railway for trains into the capital; after 1857 the company's Leicester and Hitchin Railway gave access to London via the GNR.Template:Sfn However, traffic for the second International Exhibition in 1862 suffered great delays over both lines, and so the decision was taken to develop its own London terminus from Bedford. Surveying for a Template:Convert long line began in October 1862.
Designed by William Henry Barlow,<ref name="thpan">Template:Citation</ref> as the approaching line to the station crossed the Regent's Canal at height, the result was that the line at St Pancras railway station was to be Template:Convert above the ground level. Initially planned to be filled with spoil from the tunnels north of the railway lands, instead the void was used for dry freight, particular beer from the Brewers of Burton. Beer traffic was handled in the centre of the station between platforms 4 and 5. A central third track ended in a wagon hoist lowering wagons Template:Convert below rail level; beer storage ended in 1967.
The contract for the construction of the station substructure and connecting lines was given to Messrs. Waring, with the Barlow's assistant Campion as supervisor.Template:Sfn To avoid the foundations of the roof interfering with the space beneath, and to simplify the design and minimise cost, it was decided to construct a single span roof, with cross ties for the arch at the station level. Constructed by the Butterley Company, the span width, from wall to wall was Template:Convert, with one of 24 ribs every Template:Convert. The resultant single-span Template:Convert long, Template:Convert wide, and Template:Convert high at the apex above the tracks roof was the largest such structure in the world at the time of its completion.<ref name="thpan"/>
Construction of a hotel fronting the station, the Midland Grand Hotel began in 1868, and opened in 1873; the design of the hotel and station buildings was by George Gilbert Scott, selected by competition in 1865. The building is primarily brick, but polychromatic, in a style derived from the Italian gothic, and with numerous other architectural influences.
The railway lands
Both railway companies had land north of the canal, which due to their previous industrial and now commercial use became known as the "railway lands". However, the passenger stations on Euston Road far outweighed in public attention the economically more important goods traffic to the north.
The first development was the reuse of the former temporary GNR station as a potato goods shed, part of the larger local wholesale potato market. The company also added the Eastern coal drops (1851), and the later Western coal drops (1860), allowing coal shipments from the Northeast and the Midlands to be distributed around London by the canal network, and later lorries.
The gas works also continued to expand, covering Template:Convert by the early 1900s.
Post 1945: Decline
After World War II the area declined from being a poor but busy industrial and distribution services district to a partially abandoned post-industrial district. By the 1980s it was notorious for prostitution and drug abuse. This reputation impeded attempts to revive the area, utilising the large amount of land available following the decline of the railway goods yard to the north of the station and the many other vacant premises in the area.
Relatively cheap rents and a central London location made the area attractive to artists and designers and both Antony Gormley and Thomas Heatherwick established studios in the area.
250px In the 1990s the government established the King's Cross Partnership to fund regeneration projects.
The result was the sale of the former Midland Railway goods depot to the west of St Pancras to the British Library. Since 1997 the main collection has been housed in this single new building, designed specially for the purpose by the architect Colin St John Wilson.<ref name=blhistory>Template:Cite web</ref> Facing Euston Road is a large piazza that includes pieces of public art, such as large sculptures by Eduardo Paolozzi (a bronze statue based on William Blake's study of Isaac Newton) and Antony Gormley. It is the largest public building constructed in the United Kingdom in the 20th century.<ref name=Walkowitz2009>Template:Citation</ref>
The commencement of work on High Speed 1 in 2000 provided a major impetus for wider redevelopment. The London terminus of the Eurostar international rail service moved to St Pancras station in November 2007 with the station's redevelopment leading to the demolition of several buildings, including the Gasworks. Following the reopening of the station, redevelopment of the land between the two major stations and the old Kings Cross railwaylands to the rear commenced, focussing on a major renovation and extension of Kings Cross station itself to bring it up to the same standard as newly restored St Pancras. Meanwhile, outline planning permission granted for the whole site which will see new housing and office developments, as well as an amphitheater made from one of the old gasometers.
Detailed planning applications for each part of the site are being made on a rolling programme basis. Following completion of the London 2012 Summer Olympics site, King's Cross Central is one of the largest construction projects in Greater London in the first quarter of the 21st century.
Organisations within or immediately adjacent to the area
Many organisations are affected by the decisions that will be taken by the developers. A partial list includes Camley Street Natural Park, The Cross nightclub, and St Pancras Cruising Club.
A separate development, Kings Place, lies across the road on the East side of York Way. Network Rail and The Guardian newspaper are based there. It also includes two art galleries and concert halls.
In 1989, the London Regeneration Consortium (LRC) submitted proposals to develop the railway lands. The London Borough of Camden was "minded to grant" planning proposals for these proposals in 1994. The proposals were subsequently withdrawn.
The majority of the site falls within two conservation areas. There are several buildings and structures of heritage value, some of which are "listed".
King's Cross/St Pancras is already served by 6 Underground lines (the Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Circle, Metropolitan, and Hammersmith and City), by Thameslink, Midland Main Line, East Coast Main Line, and Eurostar. These services, coupled with the ability to access each of the four main airports in the South East (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, and Luton airports), makes King's Cross the most accessible transport interchange in London. There have been HS1-related works to the London Underground system, in particular works to construct a new Northern Ticket Hall, which opened in 2009. A new Western Ticket Hall was opened to the public on 28 May 2006. Network Rail is redeveloping King's Cross Station, relocating the ticket hall and other functions from the 'temporary' structure fronting the Euston Road.
KXC has been identified in national, regional, and local policies as a high density development which should seek to optimise the full potential of this brownfield development opportunity benefiting from an excellent and improving public transport network in the heart of central London. Buildings will range in height across the site from one storey to up to 19 storeys. Protected views of St Paul's from Parliament Hill and Kenwood House will not be affected. At least a third of the site (25 acres/10 hectares) will be dedicated to new public routes and open spaces.
Argent proposes to create 20 new major routes and 10 new public spaces. 5 of these public spaces are major new squares - Granary Square, Station Square, Pancras Square, Cubitt Square, and North Square - which together total Template:Convert. In addition, the proposals include Template:Convert of new public realm along the Regent's Canal (the Gas Holders Zone and Coal Drop Yard) and within a new "Cubitt Park". Argent plans to invest in improvements to the Regent's Canal corridor on lighting and access to the canal, especially from Granary Square. The towpath connects the site to local attractions such as Camden Market, Regent's Park, London Zoo, and the shops along Upper Street. Camley Street Natural Park and areas of Camden to the west will be connected to the site via a footbridge crossing over the canal, one of three new crossings over the Regent's Canal.
In March 2006, London Borough of Camden granted outline planning permission to the framework scheme as submitted by Argent and amended in 2005.
It was reported in January 2013 that Google would be acquiring a million square feet within King's Cross Central.
20 ^ Bertolini, Luca and Tejo Spit (1998). Cities on Rails; the redevelopment of railway station areas. London: E & FN Spon. pp. 186–208 ISBN 0-419-22760-1.
- King's Cross Development Forum, a group providing the community response to developments
- Local newsletter
- Local directory