King George's Park
King George's Park is a park in Wandsworth, South London.
The park was originally called Southfields Park and was laid out in 1922. It was officially opened by King George V in 1938. The park is about 770 m long in the nouth-south direction, with an average width of 120 m. The River Wandle forms the eastern boundary of the park. It is divided into three area of approximately equal size. In the North there is a Leisure area, then a play area and finally sports fields.
The Leisure area includes; formal gardens, a bowling green, tennis courts, a wild-fowl lake (at one time with row boats), and shaded paths with a large number of seats. As this is less than five minutes walk from the main shopping area of Wandsworth, it is, in summer, a great place for eating picnic lunches.
The Play area has a pavilion where children's play sessions are held (called the one o'clock club). There was a small open air swimming pool, but this was closed and has been removed. Also there are an ecological site, an adventure playground. There are paths for both walking and cycling, and a wide open grass field used for games and othe activities.
The Wandle trail passes through the park. Along its path, it is possible to walk nearly 1½ km in a natural area with the exception of crossing a single road (Kimber Road)
The park can be entered through gates at both the north and south end, and on the east via a footpath with a pedestrian bridge across the Wandle