Lambeth School of Art

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Lambeth School of Art was founded in 1854 by William Gregory as a night school associated with the St. Mary the Less Church in London.


The church stood on what is now Black Prince Road, but has been demolished and replaced with the housing of Stoughton Close. The potter Henry Doulton had his works nearby and he began supporting the school early on. The collaboration provided Royal Doulton a supply of higher-quality artwork for its trade, and gave the Lambeth graduates employment. Many noted English modelers and sculptors owe their careers to this partnership.

In 1860 The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stones of new premises in Millers Lane, built on the site of the Vauxhall Gardens as part of a redevelopment that included St Peter's church. These buildings are still standing, although the road is now called St Oswald’s Place.

In 1879 the School was taken over by the City and Guilds of London Institute and acquired premises in nearby Kennington Park Road, becoming known as the South London School of Technical Art. In 1938 it changed its name to the City and Guilds of London Art School.


  • William Affleck
  • C. J. Allen (sculptor)
  • John Angel (sculptor)
  • Hannah Barlow
  • Harry Bates (sculptor)
  • Edmund Blampied (1903–04)
  • Martin Brothers
  • George Edmund Butler
  • Stanhope Forbes
  • George Frampton
  • Goscombe John
  • Eric Kennington
  • Henry Herbert La Thangue
  • Alfred Howell Moore
  • Harold Nelson (illustrator)
  • F.W. Pomeroy
  • Henry Poole (sculptor) (1888)
  • Arthur Rackham (circa 1885)
  • Leonard Raven-Hill
  • Ernest Arthur Rowe
  • Charles Haslewood Shannon
  • Thomas Sturge Moore (1887)
  • Henry Terry
  • George Tinworth
  • John Broad


  • Philip Connard
  • Alfred Garth Jones
  • Charles Sargeant Jagger
  • William Silver Frith
  • Charles Ricketts




Template:Art schools in the United Kingdom