Lime Grove Studios
Lime Grove Studios was a film studio complex built by the Gaumont Film Company in 1915 situated in a street named Lime Grove, in Shepherd's Bush, west London, north of Hammersmith and described by Gaumont as "the finest studio in Great Britain and the first building ever put up in this country solely for the production of films". From 1949 to 1991 the complex was used by the BBC. Lime Grove Studios closed in 1991, and was demolished in 1993.<ref name = "TV Studios">History of TV Studios – Lime Grove – accessed 18 February 2010</ref>
Gaumont-British Picture Corporation
In 1922, Isidore Ostrer along with brothers Mark and Maurice, acquired control of Gaumont-British from its French parent. In 1932 a major redevelopment of Lime Grove Studios was completed, creating one of the best equipped studio complexes of that era. The first film produced at the remodeled studio was the Walter Forde thriller Rome Express, which became one of the first British sound films to garner critical and financial success in the United States (where it was distributed by Universal Pictures). The studios prospered under Gaumont-British, and in 1941 were bought by the Rank Organisation and became a home on many occasions to the Ealing comedies. The famous British film The Wicked Lady (1945) was also made at Lime Grove.
In 1949, the BBC bought Lime Grove Studios as a "temporary measure" – as they were to build Television Centre at nearby White City – and began converting them from film to television use, reopening them on 21 May 1950.
Lime Grove would be used for many BBC TV programmes over the next forty-two years, including: Nineteen Eighty-Four; Steptoe and Son; Doctor Who; Nationwide (1969–83), an early evening current affairs series; Top of the Pops and the early soap opera The Grove Family (1954–57) took its title family from the studios, where it was made. Lime Grove's use for programmes outside current affairs declined over time, and later episodes of the continuing series were made at BBC Television Centre and BBC Elstree. Indeed, in Lime Grove Studios' final years, its official name was Lime Grove Current Affairs Production Centre. The last live programme was The Late Show on 13 June 1991 from Studio D, although the final portion of the programme, with a symbolic "unplugging" of a camera power cord in Studio D by Cliff Michelmore, was pre-recorded. A children's magazine-style programme, Studio E, was broadcast live from the studio of the same name from 1955-ca.1958 hosted by Vera McKechnie.
In 1991, the BBC decided to consolidate its London television production at BBC Television Centre and close its other studios including Lime Grove. On 26 August 1991, a month after the studios were closed, the BBC transmitted a special day of programming called The Lime Grove Story featuring examples of the many programmes and films that had been made at Lime Grove, in its 76 years as a place of film and television production. Television Theatre close by, near Shepherd's Bush Green, closed the same year.
By the end, the building was in such a poor state of repair, staff nicknamed it "Slime Grove". The studios themselves were put on the market and eventually were bought by a development company who demolished the studios in 1993, and redeveloped the area into a housing estate. The streets in the estate were named Gaumont Terrace and Gainsborough Court, in memory of the past owners of Lime Grove Studios.
In popular culture
Lime Grove Studios was the setting for the fictional current affairs program The Hour in the BBC drama of the same name.
- Gaumont Film Company
- Gainsborough Pictures