Luxembourg railway station

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:About Template:Coord thumb style.]]

File:SNCFTGVatLuxembourgStation2011.jpg
Luxembourg station is served by trains from all three neighbouring countries. In this view are a French TGV run by the SNCF and, in the background, a Belgian train can be seen.

Luxembourg railway station (Template:Lang-lb, Template:Lang-fr, Template:Lang-de) is the main railway station serving Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is operated by Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois, the state-owned railway company.

It is the hub of Luxembourg's domestic railway network, serving as a terminus for all but one of Luxembourg's railway lines (the exception being Line 80, which only stops at one station in Luxembourg). It also functions as the country's international railway station, with services into each of the surrounding countries: Belgium, France, and Germany. Since June 2007, the LGV Est has connected the station to the French TGV network.

The station is located Template:Convert south of the city centre (Ville Haute), to the south of the River Pétrusse. The station gives its name to Gare, one of the Quarters of Luxembourg City.

The station has some voltage-switchable tracks for Line 50 to Arlon, which is electrified with the Belgian voltage of 3kV DC.

History

The original railway station was built entirely from timber, and was opened in 1859. The position of the new station on the south bank of the Pétrusse, away from the original built-up area of the city, was on account of Luxembourg's role as a German Confederation fortress. The first connection to the city proper came in 1861, with the construction of the Passerelle viaduct.<ref name="Architectural tour of the railway station district">Template:Cite web</ref> After the 1867 Treaty of London, the fortifications were demolished, leading to the expansion of the city around the station.

The old wooden station was replaced by the modern building between 1907 and 1913,<ref name="Architectural tour of the railway station district" /> at the height of an economic boom, fuelled by iron from the Red Lands. The new station was designed by a trio of German architects (Rüdell, Jüsgen, and Scheuffel) in the Moselle Baroque Revival style that dominates Luxembourg's major public buildings.<ref name="Architectural tour of the railway station district" /> The station lies at the end of the Avenue de la Liberté, one of the city's major thoroughfares, and its imposing clock tower can be seen from a considerable distance.<ref name="Architectural tour of the railway station district" />

Modernisation work

Since 2006, under the auspices of the Ministry of Transport, Luxembourg station has been undergoing major renovation work which, by 2009, had already resulted in new ticketing and sales facilities inside the main hall, widening of the platforms, new lifts and a new passenger subway. Future work will include renewal of the overhead electrical wiring, installation of two platform escalators, a new entrance porch and a redesigned forecourt. In 2011, work will start on a glass passenger hall and on a four-storey car park, to be completed in 2012.

Footnotes

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Clear Template:S-start Template:S-rail Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:S-rail Template:S-line Template:S-line Template:End Template:Luxembourg City buildings and structures