Mémorial de Caen
The Mémorial de Caen is a museum and war memorial in Caen, Normandy, France commemorating the Second World War and the Battle for Caen. The building and grounds are located in the northern suburbs of the city of Caen on the site of an old blockhouse. The architect was Jacques Millet and the original curator was Yves Degraine.
The memorial is dedicated to the history of violence and intensive, outstanding conflict in the 20th Century and particularly World War II. The museum was officially opened on 6 June 1988 (the 44th anniversary of D day) by the French President François Mitterrand. The original building deals primarily with World War II looking at the causes and course of the conflict.
The museum was subsequently extended:
- In 1991 a gallery dedicated to the Nobel Peace Prize was added
- Three memorial gardens, The American Garden, The British Garden and the Canadian Garden were dedicated to the three main allied nations involved in liberating France
- An extension focusing on the Cold War and the search for Peace was opened by President Jacques Chirac in 2002. It comprises neutralized warheads, planes and a fragment of the Wall of Berlin.
- Mémorial de Caen Hall.jpg
- Mémorial de Caen foyer October 2011.JPG
- Caen memorial vallee.jpg
- Caen memorial jardinamericain.jpg
- Memorial Avion.jpg
Hawker Typhoon fighter aircraft at Memorial
- Memorial maquette porteavion usa.JPG
Model of U.S. aircraft carrier
- Mémorial uniforme soviétique WWII.JPG
Soviet army uniform (1939-1945) with PPSh-41 submachinegun
- Entrée Mémorial de Caen.jpg
- Memorial V1.jpg
Model of German V1
- This article is a summary translation of the French Wikipedia Article