Madrid runway disaster
The Madrid runway disaster was the collision on 7 December 1983 of two aircraft on the ground at Madrid-Barajas Airport. A departing Iberia Boeing 727 struck an Aviaco McDonnell Douglas DC-9, causing the deaths of 93 passengers and crew.
On 7 December 1983, a Boeing 727 of Iberia (Spain's state airline) registered EC-CFJ was cleared for take-off from Madrid-Barajas Airport's Runway 01 as Flight 350, a scheduled flight to Rome's Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport, in conditions of thick fog.<ref name = "B727"/><ref name = "Flight"/> At the same time, a DC-9 of Aviaco registered EC-CGS was taxiing to the end of the same runway for take-off as Flight 134 bound for Santander Airport.<ref name = "DC-9"/> As the Boeing 727 rolled along the runway, the crew of the DC-9 accidentally made a wrong turn in the fog and taxied their aircraft onto the runway, into the path of the 727. The crew of the 727 saw the DC-9 and attempted to avoid the collision by rotating their aircraft for lift-off, however the 727 had not reached flying speed and its rear fuselage struck the DC-9.<ref name = "Flight"/><ref name = "DC-9"/> Both aircraft caught fire and were destroyed; all 42 persons on board the DC-9 were killed, while 51 (50 passengers, 1 crew member) of the 93 on board the Boeing 727 were killed.<ref name = "B727"/> Among those killed in the DC-9 was Fanny Cano, a famous Mexican actress. Among those killed on the Boeing 727 was the leading South African pianist Marc Raubenheimer.
Investigators found that the Boeing 727 and DC-9 had collided due to the poor visibility at the airport, as well as inadequate signs and markings, which led to the DC-9 entering the runway without clearance as the Boeing 727 was taking off.<ref name = "B727"/>
- Linate Airport disaster, a runway collision in Italy killing 118 people.
- Northwest Airlines Flight 1482, another fatal runway incursion involving a Boeing 727 and a DC-9.
- Tenerife airport disaster, another collision of two aircraft at a Spanish airport in fog and the worst aircraft accident in history in terms of loss-of-life
- Final report (Archive)
- Final report (Archive) Template:Es icon
- Iberia Airlines Flight 350 at AirDisaster.com
- Aviaco Flight 134 at AirDisaster.com