thumb thumb thumb thumb Manuc's Inn (Template:Lang-ro, Template:IPA-ro) was, until it was recently shut for restoration and refurbishment, the oldest operating hotel building in Bucharest, Romania; it also housed a popular restaurant, several bars, a coffee-house, and (facing the street) several stores and an extensive bar. Its massive, multiply balconied courtyard hosted many performances and fairs and was a popular place for Romanian television crews to shoot folkloric performances. The hotel and restaurant were closed down in 2007 for refurbishment;Template:Citation needed shopsTemplate:Citation needed and a bar known both as Cafeaneaua Bucurestilor de Altadata ("Bucharest of Yesteryear" Cafe) and as Festival 39 remained open (though the bar closed in February 2010). The hotel and restaurant are expected to reopen under new management once the restoration and refurbishment are completed.Template:Citation needed However, there appear to be disagreements between the city government and the owners about the legality of certain modernizations being undertaken.
The building is located at 62–64 strada Francez? (the street has been variously known in the past as Iuliu Maniu, 30 Decembrie, and Carol),<ref name=Cantacuzino-recovered>Hanul lui Manuc, restituit definitiv prin?ului ?erban Cantacuzino, stiri.acasa.ro, 2007-02-27. Accessed online 2010-02-12.</ref> across the street from the ruins of the Old Court (Curtea Veche).<ref name=google-map>Map of location, Google Maps. The Old Court is labeled Curtea Domneasca. Accessed online 2010-02-12.</ref> Although one side now faces a vast modern public square, Pia?a Unirii,<ref name=google-map /> there is no evidence of this in the courtyard or the inward-facing rooms.Template:Citation needed
The inn was built in 1808, and originally owned by a wealthy and flamboyant Armenian entrepreneur, Emanuel Mârzaian, better known under his Turkish name Manuc-bei.<ref name=rotravel>Manuc's Inn, rotravel.com. Accessed online 2010-02-12.</ref> By the middle of the 19th century, it was Bucharest's most important commercial complex, with 15 wholesalers, 23 retail stores, 107 rooms for offices or living, two receiving rooms and a pub.<ref name=Cantacuzino-recovered />
Although Manuc's Inn has been subject to repeated restorations — in 1848, 1863, 1966–1970, and 1991–1992,<ref name=rotravel /> as well as the one now under way — its essential structure remains intact; of the three surviving 19th century inns in the Lipscani district, it is the only one recently or currently in use as a hotel.Template:Citation needed
The inn was the site of the preliminary talks for the Treaty of Bucharest, which put an end to the 1806–1812 Russo-Turkish war.<ref name=rotravel /> In 1842 it briefly housed Bucharest's town hall.<ref name=rotravel /> Around 1880 a hall at the inn was used as a theatre, and was the site of the first Romanian operetta performance.<ref name=rotravel />
Before Romania entered World War I, in 1914–1916, the hall "Sala Dacia" hosted meetings of the Wallachian pro-war party seeking to establish a Greater Romania by uniting with Transylvania and Bukovina; speakers included Nicolae Filipescu, Take Ionescu, Barbu ?tef?nescu Delavrancea, and Octavian Goga.<ref name=rotravel />
The building was nationalized 19 February 1949. Ownership was restored to Prince ?erban-Constantin Cantacuzino in February 2007.<ref name=Cantacuzino-recovered/>
- Hanul cu Tei
- Casa Cap?a
- Treaty of Bucharest
- Template:Ro icon Hanul lui Manuc, official site of the former hotel operation. Archived 2007-01-16 on the Internet Archive.
- The courtyard on a winter day
- Manuc's Inn, on the site of rotravel.com.