Marble Hill House
Template:Coord thumb thumb thumb Marble Hill House is a Palladian villa built between 1724-1729 in Twickenham, Middlesex, beside the River Thames and situated halfway between Richmond and Twickenham to the south-west of Central London. The compact design soon became famous and furnished a standard model for the Georgian English villa and for plantation houses in the American colonies.
Marble Hill House was built in 1724-1729 by Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk, the mistress of King George II, to the designs of the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749) in collaboration with Henry Herbert, 9th Earl of Pembroke, one of the "architect earls". Pembroke, then Lord Herbert, based the design of Marble Hill to a large degree on Andrea Palladio's 1553 Villa Cornaro in Piombino Dese, Italy, and thus incorporated a cubic saloon on the first floor or piano nobile. Villa Cornaro also served as a model for plantation houses in the American colonies, examples being Drayton Hall (1738-1742) in Charleston, South Carolina, and Thomas Jefferson's initial version of Monticello (1768-1770). It was in other respects an adaptation of a more expansive design by Colen Campbell. It is set in 66 acres (2.67 km²) of parkland known as Marble Hill Park. The Great Room contains lavishly gilded decoration and five capricci paintings by Giovanni Paolo Pannini. Marble Hill House also contains a loaned collection of early Georgian furniture and paintings as well as the Chinoiserie collection of the Lazenby Bequest.
Both Alexander Pope and Jonathan Swift spent many happy hours at Marble Hill as Henrietta Howard's guests.
Shortly after its building the architecture of Marble Hill House became widely known from published engravings, and was widely admired for its compact plan and tightly controlled elevations. Its design was soon copied elsewhere, rarely in the 1730's and 1740's but more commonly thereafter, and provided a standard model for the English villas built throughout the Thames Valley and further afield, for example New Place, King's Nympton, Devon, built between 1746–9 to the design of Francis Cartwright of Blandford in Dorset. thumb by Giovanni Paolo Pannini in Marble Hill House]]
The house is now owned by English Heritage, which acquired it in 1986 following the abolition of the Greater London Council. The house with with its extensive grounds are known as Marble Hill Park and provide many leisure facilities including a cricket pitch and nets, tennis courts, a putting green and a children's play area.
Hammerton's Ferry links the gardens to Ham House on the opposite bank of the River Thames. Template:Commons category
- Yelverton Lodge - a hunting lodge across Richmond Road