Marlborough Road tube station
Template:Infobox Closed London station Marlborough Road is a disused London Underground station. It opened in 1868 on the Metropolitan & St John's Wood Railway, the first northward extension from Baker Street of the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line). On contemporary maps the name is shortened to Marlboro Road.
In the mid-1930s the Metropolitan line was suffering congestion at the south end of its main route where trains from its many branches shared the limited capacity between Finchley Road and Baker Street. To ease this congestion deep-level tunnels were constructed between Finchley Road and the Bakerloo line tunnels at Baker Street, and the Metropolitan's Stanmore services were transferred to the Bakerloo (now Jubilee) line on 20 November 1939 and diverted to Baker Street in the new tunnels.
Marlborough Road was closed, replaced by St John's Wood on the Bakerloo: it had been little used, apart from during the cricket season due to its proximity to Lord's cricket ground.
Marlborough Road has been renamed Marlborough Place.
The remains of the platforms and an outside shot of the station building and booking hall, then an Aberdeen Angus Steak House, were included in Metro-land, a 1973 BBC documentary presented by Sir John Betjeman. The building housed a Chinese restaurant to January 2009, and now houses a substation installed as part of the power upgrade programme to support the introduction of S stock on the Metropolitan.
- Marlborough Road station.jpg
The station in its previous white colour
- Marlborough Road tube station 2.jpg
- Marlborough Road tube station 3.jpg
Location of the former platforms
- Metropolitain Railway Bridge Plate.jpg
Bridge plate from Marlborough Road
Other Metropolitan stations closed with the opening of the Bakerloo tunnel:
- Swiss Cottage