Template:Infobox UK place Merstham Template:IPAc-en is a largely residential dispersed village in four sections in the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, England. It is north of Redhill and is contiguous to it. On the opposite side is the intersection of the M25 and M23 motorways, on the edge of the North Downs. Part of the North Downs Way runs along the northern boundary of the village. Merstham has community associations, an early medieval church, a football club and an art gallery.
Old Merstham occupies the north and north-west. There is a small day school by the train station, the Rt Art Gallery, a large pub, a few restaurants and a small number of shops.
The art gallery collection currently (2014) includes original works by Joan Miro and Henry Moore.
To the north-west is Quality Street, some of whose buildings date back several centuries - see #History.
The Merstham Estate/New Merstham
A larger housing estate, originally entirely public housing, was built to a geometric layout in the eastern fields. This area has its own parade of shops, the Brook recreation ground, three schools, and a youth/community centre along Radstock Way by small country estate house Oakley which is listed and has Victorian gothic architecture features to its masonry, windows and decoration.
South Merstham is immediately south of both mentioned areas and is made up of mainly Victorian and Edwardian terraces, which gave a workforce for Albury Manor, nearby chalk face quarrying, brickworkings and London commuters. Its Nutfield road has a long parade of shops.
There is 2010-11 constructed development in South Merstham close to Mercers Park, Watercolour with views over the Greensand Ridge near Bletchingley and Nutfield. Here there is a Tesco Express integrated beneath flats and a small selection of shops.
The area has been settled since pre-Roman times.thumb
The village lay within the Reigate hundred, an Anglo-Saxon administrative division. Its name was recorded in 947 as Mearsætham, which seems to be Anglo-Saxon Mearþ-s?t-h?m = "Homestead near a trap set for martens or weasels".
Merstham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Merstan. It was held by Archbishop Lanfranc of Canterbury. Its domesday assets were: 5 hides; 1 church, 1 mill worth 2s 6d, 10 ploughs, Template:Convert of meadow, woodland and herbage worth 41 hogs. It rendered £12.
The area has long been known for its quarries, and it was to serve these that the village became the terminus of the Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Railway, an extension of the horse-drawn Surrey Iron Railway of 1803, the world's first public railway , albeit only for goods. A small section of the railway is on display at the entrance to Quality Street, Old Merstham.
The first mines at Merstham are recorded almost 1000 years ago in the Domesday Book and 'Reigate stone' quarried there was used to build parts of Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle and Henry VIII's doomed palace of Nonsuch in Surrey.
The original parish church, St. Katharine's, dates from around 1220; it replaced an earlier church built c. 1100, although it is believed there has been a church of some form on the site since c. 675 AD.
Merstham's conservation area is centred around its High Street which winds in the village centre to the northwest, forms part of the A23 road and includes many listed buildings; the street with the greatest number, Quality Street, arcs off at a tangent from this curve of the High Street. This was named after J.M. Barrie's play of the same name, in honour of two of the actors in the play, Ellaline Terris and Seymour Hicks, who for a time lived in the 'Old Forge' at the end of the street. 1 High Street partly dates to the 17th century.
The earlier of the two Merstham railway tunnels was the scene of a murder on 24 September 1905. The mutilated body of Mary Sophia Money was found in the tunnel and was first thought to be a case of suicide. On inspection, however, a scarf was found in the victim's throat, and marks on the tunnel wall showed that she had been thrown from a moving train. The crime was never solved, but suspicion rested on her brother, Robert Money.
After World War II, the Merstham Estate was gradually built over a period spanning until the early 1970s.
The old village thus became generally known as Old Merstham and occasionally is known as Top Merstham, although no roads climb significantly except for a few roads in the north and the A23 itself takes a natural dip to 110m above sea level, avoiding rises to over 220m to either side. The article on this road provides more details of this being an old route from north to south, host to the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and similar events (such as in cycling).
Rockshaw Road, on the hilltop above the conservation area of Old Merstham, was developed at the very end of the 19th century, and between the World Wars was home to many nationally notable people, among them senior Army and Navy figures, financiers and politicians. thumb At the junction of Battlebridge Lane and Nutfield Road is All Saints church, the original building of which was destroyed in World War II. Volunteers from the Canadian regiments worked to build a temporary church for the village, which became known as Canada Hall and is used as a village hall and weekly meeting hall for some Merstham branches of the Girl Guides.
Sport and leisure
Merstham has a Non-League football club Merstham F.C., which plays at the Moatside and a cricket club which plays in Fullers league division two.
Merstham Mines is an abandoned mine that is a popular caving destination.
London buses run to Croydon, Coulsdon, Purley and Redhill town centre. Metrobus operates buses to Reigate, Caterham and Woldingham
The village is served by Merstham railway station on the Brighton Main Line, with services to London Bridge, London Victoria, Gatwick Airport.
Demography and housing
|Ward||Detached||Semi-detached||Terraced||Flats and apartments||Caravans/temporary/mobile homes/houseboats||Shared between households<ref name=ons/>|
|Ward||Population||Households||% Owned outright||% Owned with a loan||hectares<ref name=ons/>|
The proportion of households who owned their home outright compares to the regional average of 35.1%. The proportion who owned their home with a loan compares to the regional average of 32.5%. The remaining % is made up of rented dwellings (plus a negligible % of households living rent-free).
- List of places of worship in Reigate and Banstead