Museo del Aire (Madrid)
The Museo del Aire, full title in Spanish Museo de Aeronáutica y Astronáutica o Museo del Aire, is an aviation museum located in the outskirts of Madrid at Cuatro Vientos Airport, Spain. The museum was founded in 1981, and offers six exhibition galleries and it has about 150 aircraft on display.<ref name=museo>Template:Cite web Template:Es</ref>
Cuatro Vientos was inaugurated in 1911 and is Spain’s first military airfield.
The museum facilities extend over a surface of more than 66,000 m2, including outdoor displays and seven hangars. There are mainly planes and helicopters, many of which have previously served in the Spanish Air Force. Visitors will also find hundreds of miniature aircraft models, uniforms, engines, weapons and many other aviation related objects.
Aircraft on display include a Vilanova Acedo, Spanish version of the Blériot XI built in 1911, the Jesús del Gran Poder, a special version of the Breguet 19 used on the transatlantic flight to Asia and America between 1928 and 1929, a few aircraft of the Spanish Republican Air Force, as well as the famous de Havilland Dragon Rapide used by Francisco Franco from the Canary Islands to Tétouan at the start of the military rebellion which began the Spanish Civil War in 1936.
Of special interest are also the Spanish versions of the Heinkel He 111 and the Junkers Ju 52.
- The entrance and camera usage fee: none, free admission.
- Timetable: Tuesday to Sunday: 10 am to 14 pm. The museum is closed all Mondays and special days.
Ways to get there
There is no access from the airport to the museum, and this is surrounded by a confusing number of roads.
- By bus: It is better to take any of the Madrid-Alcorcón-Móstoles green buses of the BLAS company at Príncipe Pío station and ask the driver where to drop off. Busses pass here frequently.
- Nearest metro (Madrid metro) and commuter rail (Cercanías Madrid) station: Line 10 (Madrid Metro). Cuatro Vientos Metro station falls a bit short from the museum, about 1 kilometre.
- By car: autovía A-5, 10,5 km. Parking is free in front of entrance to the Museum.
- Source: Odgen 2009<ref name='Ogden 2009'>Ogden (2009)</ref>
The museum has over 150 aircraft exhibited in outdoor and indoor displays. Over 50 others are not on display, but can often be seen around the site.
List of selected aircraft on display (individual examples already noted or illustrated in Wikimedia projects)
|Breguet 19GR||-||'Cuatro Vientos'||commons|
|Breguet 19TR Bidon||72||'Jesus del Gran Poder'||commons|
|CASA 2.111E (Heinkel 111H)||T.8B-97||'462-04'|
|CASA 352L (Junkers Ju.52)||T.2B-211||'911-16'||commons|
|CASA C-101 Aviojet||XE.25-01||commons|
|CASA C-207 Azor||T.7-6||'405-15'||commons|
|CASA C-212 Aviocar||XT.12-1||'54-10'||commons|
|Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina||DR.1-1|
|de Havilland Dragon Rapide||G-ACYR||commons|
|de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou||T.9–25||commons|
|Dornier Do 24T-3||HD.5-2||'58-2'||commons|
|Douglas C-47 Dakota||T.3–36||'721-9'|
|Fieseler Fi 156 Storch||L.16–23||commons|
|Hispano HA-1112K1L Tripala||C.4J-2||commons|
|Hispano HA-1112M1L Buchon||C.4K-158||commons|
|Hispano HA-200 Saeta||A.10C-104||commons|
|Lockheed F-104G Starfighter||C.8–15||'104-15'||commons|
|McDonnell F-4C Phantom II||C.12–37||'12–29'||commons|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21||22–26||E German AF||commons|
|Mil Mi-2||CCCP-23760||Icona '34'||commons|
|North American T-6G||E.16–90||'793-6'||commons|
|North American B-25J Mitchell||130338||'74-17'|
|North American F-86 Sabre||C.5-175||'1–175'||commons|
|Slingsby T.34 Sky||EC-RAT|
|Transavia PL-12 Airtruk||VH-TRQ||commons|
|Vilanova Acedo (Blériot XI)||-||commons|
|Westland Whirlwind 2||ZD.1B-22||'803-4'||commons|
- Vilanova Acedo (Blériot XI).jpg
The Vilanova Acedo built in 1911, is the oldest aircraft in Spain.
- Br19sb cuatrovientos.jpg
Cuatro Vientos (replica); this aircraft flew in 1933 from Spain to Cuba.
- Jesus del gran poder.jpg
Jesús del Gran Poder, historical Spanish aircraft.
- Farman F 402.jpeg
Farman F.402 of the Spanish Republican Air Force.
- List of aircraft of the Spanish Air Force
- List of aerospace museums
- Ogden, Bob. (2009). Aviation Museums and Collections of Mainland Europe. Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd ISBN 0-85130-375-7
- Museo del Aire, the official website (2011) Template:Es
- Asociación Amigos del Museo del Aire, Spanish association (2011) Template:Es
- Visit to Museo de Aeronáutica y Astronáutica (2009)
- aviationmuseum.eu: Museo del Aire (2010)