National Technical Museum (Prague)
thumb The National Technical Museum in Prague is the largest institution dedicated to preserving information and artifacts related to the history of technology in the Czech Republic. The museum was founded in 1908 and has been in its current location (adjacent to Letná Park) since 1941. The museum has large exhibits representing approximately 15% of its total collection. The museum also manages substantial archives consisting of approximately 3,500 linear shelf meters of archival material and about 250,000 books.
In 2001 the museum opened a Railroad Museum that contains about 100 railway vehicles.
The 2002 European floods caused damage to some 200 cubic metres of documents at the museum - in a location separate to the main building. Work involved in drying and restoring the materials is expected to continue until 2013.
The National Technical Museum was closed in September 2006 for extensive renovations. Reopening was at first scheduled for February 2008, and eventually took place in February 2011.
Jan Kašpar donated the aircraft, with which he had flown his flight from Pardubice to Velká Chuchle in 1911, to the National Technical Museum in Prague. The aeroplane is still on display at the museum.
- List of museums in Prague