It was designed by Raoul Mesnier du Ponsard and opened on July 28, 1889. It's located near the beach and takes passengers from the town center up to the bairro Sítio and vice versa.
Originally, it was pulled by a steam engine, until 1963, when a lethal accident forced it to close for a five-year period. When it reopened, in 1968, it had been modified to use electricity. It is still in use as of 2011.
- Length: Template:Convert (Template:Convert in tunnel)
- Steepness: 42 %
- Speed: Template:Convert
- Journey time: 3 minutes
- Cars: 2
- Capacity: 40 passengers per car
- Traction: Cable
- Cable car (railway)
- List of funicular railways
- Funiculars.net - Nazaré > Lugar do Sítio
- Official municipal page with information about the funicular