New Cross Gate railway station
New Cross Gate station is a railway station in New Cross, London, on the Brighton Main Line and the East London Line. It is about 600 metres west of Template:Stnlnk station. It is in Travelcard Zone 2, and is operated by London Overground.
- 1 History
- 2 Services
- 3 Bus connections
- 4 Lines
- 5 References
- 6 External links
England's railway boom of the 1830s led to two competing companies driving lines through the area. The first, the London and Croydon Railway (L&CR), established a station on New Cross Road close to Hatcham in 1839. The second, the South Eastern Railway (SER), established a station near Amersham Way in the heart of New Cross in 1849. Both companies called their stations "New Cross", and the earlier station became "New Cross Gate" when they came under the common ownership of the Southern Railway on 1 January 1923.
During the 19th century, New Cross (Gate) became an important junction where the South London Line, the East London Line, and the Bricklayers Arms Line diverged from the Brighton Main Line to Template:LUL stations.
London and Croydon Railway Station
The original station was officially opened on 1 June 1839 by the London and Croydon Railway.<ref name="Turner1">Template:Cite book</ref> and became fully operational on 5 June 1839.<ref name="Gray1">Template:Cite book</ref> It was intended to become the main freight depot and locomotive workshop for the company. In July 1841 the line (but not the station) was also used by the London and Brighton Railway, and between 1842 and 1849 the SER. The Croydon and Brighton companies merged to form the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) in July 1846. Between February and May 1847 the station at New Cross was the northern terminus of the atmospheric propulsion system introduced by the L&CR,<ref name="Turner2">Template:Cite book</ref> but in the latter month the system was abandoned by the new company. On 1 October 1847 the new company closed its New Cross station, replacing it with one at Cold Blow Lane 0.25 miles to the north, in an attempt to secure passengers from the planned North Kent Line of the SER.
London Brighton and South Coast Railway Station
The Cold Blow station was not a success and was subject to much local criticism, so on 1 May 1849 the LB&SCR rebuilt and re-opened New Cross on the original site. It was again rebuilt in 1858 to allow for the quadrupling of the Brighton Main Line. Further rebuilding was undertaken in 1869 when the East London Railway opened a line from Template:Stnlnk to Whitechapel and Template:LUL stations.
The line through the station was electrified in 1928 by the Southern Railway using the third rail system.
East London Railway
The East London Railway (ELR) was owned by a consortium of railway companies. Passenger services were operated by the LB&SCR between Croydon and Liverpool Street, and from 1884 by the Metropolitan District Railway between New Cross (Gate) and Shoreditch. LB&SCR services ceased on 31 March 1913,<ref name="Turner3">Template:Cite book</ref> when the line was electrified using the fourth rail system and thereafter all passenger services were operated by the Metropolitan Railway. A separate ELR station was built but this was closed in 1886 and the trains were diverted to the adjacent LB&SCR station. The ELR station was then demolished and the site used for sidings.
In 1933 the Metropolitan railway was taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board, which operated services as part of the London Transport Metropolitan Line. London Transport was superseded by Transport for London, whose London Underground services temporarily stopped serving the station on 22 December 2007 for the East London Line to be converted into a National Rail line, reopening as part of the London Overground network on 27 April 2010.
The London and Croydon planned to use New Cross as the London terminal for its freight traffic, as the station had good access to the Grand Surrey Canal. It therefore built extensive sidings for this purpose. After 1849 the principal freight-handling facility in the area was moved to Willow Walk on the Bricklayers Arms site, but the sidings continued to be used for the storage of carriages. An Ordnance Survey map for 1871 shows a substantial carriage shed on the west side of the main line, north of the station, but this was no longer shown on the 1894 map. It had been replaced by a combined carriage and locomotive shed on the east side of the line in 1894, but this closed in 1906.<ref name="Griffiths & Smith">Template:Cite book</ref>
Cross-London freight services were operated to the yard by the Great Eastern Railway, which maintained its own goods depot on the site from the 1870s. These services were continued by the London and North Eastern Railway from 1923, and after 1948 by the Eastern Region of British Railways. They ceased to operate in 1962.
Locomotive depot and repair workshops
The L&CR opened a motive power depot and a locomotive repair facility here in 1839, the former of which appears to have been particularly accident prone. The original building, one of the earliest roundhouses, burned down in 1844.<ref name="Hawkins and Reeve">Template:Cite book</ref> A replacement was built in 1845, and a straight shed built by the LB&SCR in 1848 was blown down in a gale in October 1863. Two further buildings were constructed by the LB&SCR in 1863 and 1869. By 1882 the second (1845) Croydon shed was derelict and in that year was replaced by the new shed, which was rebuilt with a new roof by the Southern Railway (SR) prior to 1929.<ref name="Griffiths & Smith 1979, p.95">Griffiths & Smith (1979), p.95</ref>
The various running sheds began to be run down during the 1930s as part of a re-organisation scheme involving new developments at Norwood Junction, but the onset of war meant that they were not formally closed until 1947 and were used for stabling locomotive until 1951. They were demolished in 1957 together with the repair workshops, and replaced by sidings for the storage of electric multiple units.<ref name="Griffiths & Smith 1979, p.95"/>
The locomotive workshops established by the L&CR continued to undertake minor repairs on locomotives in the London area for the LB&SCR and the SR, and also briefly for British Railways. They were closed in 1949.
The East London Line closed on 22 December 2007 and reopened on 27 April 2010 as part of the new London Overground system. The service was also closed between 1995 and 1998 due to repair work on the tunnel under the River Thames. The East London line extension included a flyover north of New Cross Gate allowing trains to run through from West Croydon, plus the construction of a train servicing facility nearby. Platform 1 and adjacent track (southbound) were refurbished, with the line continuing under New Cross Road, before merging with the down slow line. LO services terminated here until 23 May 2010 when services were extended south.<ref name="BBC">BBC London:The new East London Line opens to the public Accessed 27 April 2010</ref> Ticket barriers were installed to all platforms in time for the London Overground services to commence.
East London Line
The off-peak service Template:As of in trains per hour is:
- 4 northbound to Highbury & Islington
- 4 northbound to Dalston Junction
- 4 southbound to West Croydon
- 4 southbound to Template:Stnlnk
In December 2011 the off-peak frequency was:
- 6 northbound to Template:LUL stations
- 2 southbound to London Victoria via Template:Stnlnk
- 2 southbound to Template:Stnlnk, fast to Template:Stnlnk
- 2 southbound to Template:Stnlnk
- Platform 1 is used by London Overground trains to Template:Stnlnk and Template:Stnlnk
- Platform 2 is used by Southern trains to Template:Stnlnk and Template:Stnlnk
- Platform 3 is used by Southern trains to Template:Stnlnk
- Platform 4 is used by Southern trains to Template:Stnlnk
- Platform 5 is used by Southern trains to Template:Stnlnk and London Overground trains to Template:Stnlnk
Other Southern services and First Capital Connect trains between Bedford and Brighton regularly rush through the station, but do not stop.
London Bus routes stop directly outside the station.<ref name="bus">New Cross bus map Transport for London Retrieved 2013-02-10 </ref>